Redhat AS 4u2 and CentOS question

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
MooktaKiNG

Post by MooktaKiNG » 2006/01/18 01:06:13

I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

Firstly when it comes to licenses, like many, my brain just switches off when trying to read it.
I need someone to clear some things for me.

Firstly if i get a copy og Redhat AS 4u2 for example and install it on my PC. I know i won't be able to install security patches etc for this instllation because i haven't bought the support service for it. But if my installation legal?
If it is legal, can i use CentOS's mirrors for updating etc? since it is binary compatible

I do know that many linux distributions can be copied and distributed without any problems. Distro's like Ubuntu incourage you to do this. I just need this clarification.

So if i install redhat AS on a production server, and not use their REDHAT NETWORK (or something) for updating, support etc
I'm i allowed to do this?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

ramos

Re: Redhat AS 4u2 and CentOS question

Post by ramos » 2006/01/20 00:18:28

Why not just use Cent? It is in no way substantially different than RHEL4; I have installed many major-vendor commercial applications on Cent when they claimed to support only RHEL4. The biggest difference between Cent and RHEL is the redhat_logos rpm and the support contract you get when you pay for RedHat (the support is what you're really paying for anyway.)

MooktaKiNG

Re: Redhat AS 4u2 and CentOS question

Post by MooktaKiNG » 2006/01/20 00:51:13

Yep. after installation that seems like the case.

One more question.

I've run a server for a while. but i've never used SELinux before.
Is this something is good to implement? or is it something that is more pain then its worth?
Think of it this way. the usual way i do things is installed whatever services i want and then i open ports for them.
How would that work out with selinux?

thank you.

osde-info

Post by osde-info » 2006/03/08 16:41:14

CentOS 3 &4 and RHEL 3 & 4 are both "100% GPL free software"

You can install CentOS and RHEL on as many servers as you like provided you haven't signed any RHN agreements. If you have signed you will need to pay Red Hat for EACH AND EVERY physical and virtual RHEL system in your entire organisation alternativeky you would need to contact Red Hat to terminate (note they are non refundable) EACH AND EVERY such RHN agreement that you have ever signed or paid for.

If you don't want to use CentOS yum updates you can download RHEL SRPMS and updates manually (and compile them yourself) from

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/

Return to “CentOS 4 - Miscellaneous Questions”