Fedora RPM compatibility with CentOS

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
tmr_leon

Post by tmr_leon » 2006/01/11 20:15:27

I've read somewhere in passing that it's possible to use a FC3 RPM in RHEL4 (and subsequently, CentOS 4?). Is this true/advisable? I read this many months back and for the life of me I can't find it to confirm it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

w5set

Post by w5set » 2006/01/12 03:14:29

I use them frequently, for example I just used rpmbuild to do the newest "ClamAv" source rpm so it wouldn't even need editing the .conf files for clam or freshclam..(now I have 4.6meg of clean fresh Centos ClamAv "RPM's" in the RPM folder)
It worked out of the box and even updated the db before quiting install--only thing I had to do was restart clamd.
I've used the rkhunter and chkrootkit rpm's (via the 'rpmbuild" command--just as a precaution for install/use paths) from FC4.
I'm running Centos 4.2 also..
Also Firestarter and AdobeReader FC4 rpm's with the rpmbuild command....
Of course your milage may vary...

tmr_leon

Re: Fedora RPM compatibility with CentOS

Post by tmr_leon » 2006/01/12 05:22:55

Thank you for the reply w5set. I am fairly new to Linux and have never heard of rpmbuild. I did a little reading and think that rpmbuild is awesome! You've opened up my options immensely. I've always had to depend on the RPMs that were already out there. I dislike compiling and installing apps from source because it makes me feel as if my system isn't as easy to clean if I mess up or change my mind (like I said, I'm fairly new. Most of the time, I experiment).

Thank you again!

w5set

Re: Fedora RPM compatibility with CentOS

Post by w5set » 2006/01/15 05:05:25

Well--if you do have to use the sources and "make" an install of some program, just don't forget the old
"make uninstall" command done in the same directory as the original make install was done in.
It usually (if the developer wasn't a complete a$$ as the person was that wrote the "free" greeting card maker program that I installed just a few days ago) will just "un-install" as nicely as it installed..
I spent 1/2 a day cleaning out that garbage from all nooks and crannies..
setting the default fonts and other basic stuff back to normal...geeezz what a mess---
guess it's certainly true--there ain't a free lunch out on the internet...hi--hi

Return to “CentOS 4 - Miscellaneous Questions”