Trouble installing Oracle9iR2 in CentOS 4.4

Installation and support for Oracle DB on CentOS.
Paddyman

Trouble installing Oracle9iR2 in CentOS 4.4

Post by Paddyman » 2007/03/08 20:52:01

Hello every one.
I am having some trouble creating a DB on CentOS 4.4. The initial installation usnig the guides from [url=http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/55]http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/55[/url] went very well. But when I startup the dbca on point 7.2 onthe aformentioned website, it takes me through till when I click on creat database, I receive an error (warning) and nothing happens. The DB is not created. This is the error I receive at the end of that process:
[code]
Warning:
Name: DirText
Class: XmTextField
Character '\145' not supported in font. Discarded.
Warning:
Name: DirText
Class: XmTextField
Character '\57' not supported in font. Discarded.

/oracle/92/bin/dbca: line 124: 4475 Segmentation fault $JRE_DIR/bin/jre -D ORACLE_HOME=$OH -DJDBC_PROTOCOL=
thin -mx64m -classpath $CLASSPATH oracle.sysman. assistants.dbca.Dbca $ARGUMENTS
[oracle@localhost ~]$
[/code]
The warnings are much but I have just included a few here. Does any body know how to fix this? I have search and search but I can't find an answer.
Does any body a better source to have an installation guide of Oracle9i on CentOS 4.4?

I would really much appreciate your help. Thank you very much.
Paddy

rwendel

Re: Trouble installing Oracle9iR2 in CentOS 4.4

Post by rwendel » 2007/03/18 03:49:38

[edited original question] answered it myself...forgot to read "everything"

Actual question:

I see you cross-posted to Oracle support forums, so I was wondering if you attempted to perform the database installation manually? It is pretty simple and generally goes faster than the dbca from what I have heard (never timed it myself).

-rew

swwks

Re: Trouble installing Oracle9iR2 in CentOS 4.4

Post by swwks » 2007/03/19 21:26:20

Paddy - I had this same exact problem with the same exact error this morning in my enviroment(CentOS 4.4)!

I punted on the command line database creation method and concentrated on getting the dbca tool to run right. I did fix it just about 1 hour ago and this is what I had to do.

Go edit user Oracle's .bash_profile and make sure JAVA_HOME enviroment variable is set(mine wasn't) also double check that your LD_ASSUME_KERNEL variable is also correct. So I added the following JAVA_HOME varible to my Oracle users .bash_profile file and changed LD_ASSUME_KERNEL from 2.4.1 to 2.4.19 -

--My mods look like this--

JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.5.0_11
export JAVA_HOME

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19

------------------------------

If you modify Oracle user's .bash_profile make sure you issue a source command to make the changes active or just reboot the machine.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Oracle Installation and Support”