A few Newb Questions..

Support for the other architectures (X86_64, s390(x) and PowerPC)
TrueDego

A few Newb Questions..

Post by TrueDego » 2006/10/04 03:04:37

Hello all who read this. I have used FreeBSD and Ubuntu but the learning curve was rather difficult for me then but now im trying agian and decided to try the 64 bit verison of this, but i have a few questions.

First: With FreeBSD there was a command (-r I think) for the OS to go out and grab all Dependencies and the file itself and install it all in one shot. Is there anything like that for CentOS to make things easier for noobzorz like myself?

Second: I like to Play Counter-Strike Source on Win and I know wine allows "emulation" (I know it stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulaitor") of windows games. If I install CS:S, becuase its 32-bit will I still be able to play it in the 64Bit mode?

Third: I like to read Tutorial books and I was wondering if I should get a book on Fedora Core, or a book on RHEL to learn CentOS better?

Fourth: What kinds of Peformance Gain will I get with the 64bit edition compaired to living in my 32 bit world, as of now?

If I can think of anything else Ill ask more
thanks
-TD

foxb

A few Newb Questions..

Post by foxb » 2006/10/04 13:54:51

First Welcome to CentOS

[quote]
TrueDego wrote:
Hello all who read this. I have used FreeBSD and Ubuntu but the learning curve was rather difficult for me then but now im trying agian and decided to try the 64 bit verison of this, but i have a few questions.

First: With FreeBSD there was a command (-r I think) for the OS to go out and grab all Dependencies and the file itself and install it all in one shot. Is there anything like that for CentOS to make things easier for noobzorz like myself?
[/quote]
yum is taking care of dependencies if it can (somethimes you need to do it manually).
Be sure that you enable additional repos like DAG
having yumex also helps
[quote]

Second: I like to Play Counter-Strike Source on Win and I know wine allows "emulation" (I know it stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulaitor") of windows games. If I install CS:S, becuase its 32-bit will I still be able to play it in the 64Bit mode?
[/quote]
Check here:
http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=HOWTO+Steam
[quote]

Third: I like to read Tutorial books and I was wondering if I should get a book on Fedora Core, or a book on RHEL to learn CentOS better?
[/qoute]
RHEL 4 one ... will be closer.
But first check the documentation:
http://www.centos.org/docs/4
You will find a lot inside...
[qoute]

Fourth: What kinds of Peformance Gain will I get with the 64bit edition compaired to living in my 32 bit world, as of now?
[/quote]
first you will need 64-bit CPU.
My opinion is not much if you do not have more than 3G of RAM, others say 10-30% (if the app is 64-bit optimized)
[quote]

If I can think of anything else Ill ask more
thanks
-TD[/quote]

Return to “CentOS 4 - X86_64,s390(x) and PowerPC Support”