Web Server SATA Hard Drive issue

Support for webhosts that use CentOS
STRX

Post by STRX » 2007/02/17 12:06:20

Hi all.

First of all our web server using CentOS 4.4. and cPanel/WHM as a control panel.
And looks like we have Fedora/CentOS issue with new hard drive installation/mount issue. Old (first SDA), was installed and mounted ok (and it's possible to use SDA as a /home for web sites), but more one, new hard drive (second, SDB) got large error with mounting (impossible to use SDB as a /dev/sdb1/home2). WHM (and ssh) finds /dev/sdb as a second hard drive with no problems, but it's impossible to setup mount for /dev/sdb1/home2, error massage looks like (via ssh): "mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /home2/ busy". Also its impossible to find any SDB monts via SSH:
root@****** [~]# mount
/dev/sda5 on / type ext3 (rw,usrquota)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sda8 on /home type ext3 (rw,usrquota)
/dev/sda7 on /tmp type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid)
/dev/sda2 on /usr type ext3 (rw,usrquota)
/dev/sda3 on /var type ext3 (rw,usrquota)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
/tmp on /var/tmp type none (rw,noexec,nosuid,bind)

There no SDB (sdb1/home2) :(.

cPanel support told me:
"This appears to be an issue with the operating system.

Nothing shows that /home2 is mounted however when attempting to mount
/dev/sdb1 to /home2 it shows that it is already mounted.

I recommend checking into the mount system to see if it is truly mounted
or if it is unable to mount to a directory. You may need to contact
your systems administrator to resolve this."

System admin told me:
"...it actually appears to be more of a Fedora/CentOS issue than cPanel now. I was
looking around and came across the posting at
http://www.nabble.com/centos-4.3-SATA-drive-mount-error-t1944923.html
and I was able to mount the device using the loopback option, but this
isn't something you would be able to use in your environment...."

Well, it's still impossible to use SDB hard drive as a /dev/sdb1/home2 (for web projects), still cant find it via "mount" command e.t.c....

Any ideas? Help!

Thank you!

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2007/02/17 15:08:04

[quote]And looks like we have Fedora/CentOS issue with new hard drive installation/mount issue...it's impossible to setup mount for /dev/sdb1/home2[/quote]
No, what you have is a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PICNIC]PICNIC[/url] issue.

If you plan to use linux, then you need to spend some time and at least learn how the simple commands work.

Mounting /dev/sdb1/home2 makes no sense, but you can mount /dev/sdb1.

STRX

Re: Web Server SATA Hard Drive issue

Post by STRX » 2007/02/17 15:49:32

No, i cant mount /dev/sdb1, "busy" error. I cant do any mounts on sdb hard drive, "busy or mounted" error.
Thats the main issue, impossible to mount. hm. cPanel support team got this error to (impossible to make mounts @ sdb hard drive), so i hope it's not my PICNIC error :-) .

root@*** [~]# mount /dev/sdb1
mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /home2 busy <--------------------- impossible to mount "all possible sdb`s" on SDB hard drive
root@*** [~]# mount /dev/sdb1/home2
mount: can't find /dev/sdb1/home2 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab <------------------ by the way, there are /dev/sdb1/home2 line in fstab.
root@*** [~]#

Any more ideas? :) thanks.

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2007/02/17 16:00:46

[code]$ man mount[/code]

cb700826

Post by cb700826 » 2007/02/17 16:09:39

try fdisk -lh

see whther your sd*drive shows up
if it does umount all sd*mounts and mount ONLY /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2 at a time, and also in seperate directories ( I made /media/disk1 (2, 3 ...)

[quote]
STRX wrote:
No, i cant mount /dev/sdb1, "busy" error. I cant do any mounts on sdb hard drive, "busy or mounted" error.
Thats the main issue, impossible to mount. hm. cPanel support team got this error to (impossible to make mounts @ sdb hard drive), so i hope it's not my PICNIC error :-) .

mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /home2 busy <--------------------- impossible to mount "all possible sdb`s" on SDB hard drive
mount: can't find /dev/sdb1/home2 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab <------------------ by the way, there are /dev/sdb1/home2 line in fstab.
root@*** [~]#

Any more ideas? :) thanks.[/quote]

foxb

Post by foxb » 2007/02/19 14:59:29

[quote]
STRX wrote:

root@*** [~]#

Any more ideas? :) thanks.[/quote]

Can you post the result of mount?

Return to “CentOS 4 - Webhosting Support”