kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.0.2.106.unsupported - what is it and why?

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
fhj52

Re: kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.0.2.106.unsupported - what is it and why?

Post by fhj52 » 2006/02/06 21:34:41

It works differently here for some reason. No little 'exclusion box' available. I know it exists because I rem' seeing it and configuring it with exclusions for the kernel. As mentioned, I had that before. So it (CentOS updater) should be set.
It was probably yum that did the deed.

yum.conf does have the exclude in it... for now.

The real point here is that the system [i]does[/i] need to be kept up-to-date but the sys admin needs to make the decision. It would be better if the updates could be listed with information pertinent to why they are "updates" rather than just installing them or listing the standard info that one gets from rpm -qi

Gotta go...

Thanks, again. :-)

fhj52

Post by fhj52 » 2006/02/11 09:04:12

kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.0.2.106.unsupported was installed again.
I have exclude=kernel in every file and every source listed in them, especially centosplus.

YUM SUX!

w5set

Post by w5set » 2006/02/11 23:27:50

$%^^ sorry---
start--system settings---Centos OS Network Configuration--click tab "Retrival/Installation--
then click/check the "do not upgrade packages when local -----"
then click the "package Exceptions" tab--and make sure the kernel is added in the top box (large one).
if not --click add there and type in "kernel" without the quote marks of course..
Typing from MY memory can be dangerous, I guess--this time I went and found the "Menu" itself!!
and went through it--it's there---at least in KDE.

fhj52

Post by fhj52 » 2006/02/12 07:13:13

Not your fault in any way but I appreciate the sentiment. :-)
And thank you very much for the assistance.

[color=CC0000][b]IT IS WRONG to upgrade and/or remove kernel(s) on someone else's computer system without their explicit ok.[/b][/color]

On top of that, it is really a crappy kernel here. ... even breaks kudzu! Most definitely NOT an "update" as yum claims it to be.
The genius who designed yum and the upgrade process at CentOS also removed my kernel source files. Yum absolutely refused to retrieve another - probably because of all the lines of exclude=kernel that it [i]apparently[/i] ignored to install but would not ignore to retrieve... or some other really stupid reason. I think the unsupported kernel must have been in the var - cache so it figured that it was okay ... I cleaned it *manually* but it was too late. ...

[b] I *HATE* yum.[/b] Mandrake tools were better 5 years ago than YUM is in [u]CentOS[/u] TODAY and believe me when I say they were not really good then.
Up2date looks just as bad but I cannot really say for sure.
I can say that urmpi works better most of the time and the Mandrake graphical tools are far and away superior to up2date.

[b] I *HATE* this forum.[/b] It is not only the hardest to use of any forum I have seen in a very long time, but it is also made for MICROSOFT SOFTWARE. That just plain pisses me off.

[b] I *HATE* this website.[/b]It is also made for MICROSOFT SOFTWARE. That pisses me off even more.

whatever...

CentOS is a huge regression for me. Too much broken stuff hanging over from years back. ...

I also bought RHEL (an old version) at the same time I got the CentOS 4. It was old so I migrated towards CentOS to see if RHEL 4 w/b worth the investment. There is not a chance it would be. The amount of administration is much too great. The old version will be just fine for a web/mail server.
Based upon what I have read, it is this old kernel that allowed me to install without "PCI: multiple domains not supported" errors that caused the installers to break. I think I know how to get around that now so I am outtahere...

Good Luck to you, [i]Unique Antique[/i]! Once again, thanks for trying. :)

I hope the CentOS & WhiteBox people will get their S! together about this website and forum because the "community" being advertised is just talk until they do.
( to prevent flames: I asked them if they needed help, as a means to assist: I got no response. )

fhj52

Post by fhj52 » 2006/02/13 02:08:17

For the next poor soul who must use yum,
the *.repo files allow ONE and ONLY one "exclude" line; apparently the last it reads is the only one it uses.

The "global" file is " /etc/yum.conf " and probably the only place "exclude=" should be for ease of maintaining the little b*d ... but "exclude=" can be used in any *.repo file too.

To exclude ALL the kernels

exclude=kernel*

To exclude ALL the kernels and ALL webmin updates put them both on [u]same line separated by one space[/u].

exclude=kernel* webmin*

That list can be extended but it is not said how long it can be; at least to the end of the 80 char line, probably.

If you really want to stop yum,

exclude=*

...YUM SUX but not as much as allowing updating of critical files without so much as a warning...

w5set

Post by w5set » 2006/02/13 23:38:07

guess that's why they call that file "yum.conf"
short for yum configure?
most likely your nightly yum is still running.
or the Centos update is still in autopilot.
I use only manual updating and I WANT to see what gonna get updated before I allow it.
I never throw in the -y switch either (but nightly yum does!!!)
But fixin the yum.conf should have fixed your problems, that and excluding the kernels in Centos uptodate.
Yum is the "channel" that uptodate uses.
I'm like you--it should be a little easier to pick n choose from just "enhanced updating" or "security" type updates.
Maybe a "tag" on the rpm somewhere would allow just security updates to "Automagically" get processed and the rest just lay there until
you had a wild hair or something.
Maybe a "Security" repo would be a good idea.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Security Support”