kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.0.2.106.unsupported - what is it and why?

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
fhj52

kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.0.2.106.unsupported - what is it and why

Post by fhj52 » 2006/01/23 17:25:45

My system did not boot into X. Looking up at top of page I saw:

[b]kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.0.2.106.unsupported[/b]

had been loaded as the kernel.
I did not get it so the updater must have.
Problem is that I had the updater set to ignore " kernel* " packages because I do not like surprises; at least not that kind. IIRC, that format was the way it was setup originally.

Worse, perhaps, the "RPM log" (System Logs Viewer) only shows kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.0.2.EL.... as installed.
BUT the ...106 [u]is[/u] installed:
[----@-- ~]# rpm -q kernel-smp-*
kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.0.2.EL
kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.0.2.106.unsupported

I am new to this auto-update stuff w/ CentOS so would someone please edify me a bit on what I did wrong to allow a kernel to be downloaded and installed w/out my knowledge?

Also, there seems to be a persistent problem retrieving information about any of the files the updater wants to install. It always tells me the information is not available. If there is no security or *critical* bug fix info, WHY AM I GETTING REQUESTS FOR KERNELS TO BE INSTALLED ON MY SYSTEM? :-? :-x :-?

Thanks, in advance, to the [i]sane[/i] one that answers this. :-)

w5set

Re: kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.0.2.106.unsupported - what is it and why?

Post by w5set » 2006/01/23 23:41:01

Could be that nightly yum "update" is enabled.
service yum status
should tell if enabled or unenabled.
If it is--turn it off
service yum stop
and keep it off with this..
chkconfig --levels 2345 yum off
use yum with the --exclude=kernel switch after that. (or don't use the "contrib" repo's)
info yum or man yum for command/switches/options etc.
I wouldn't use uptodate for any reason now.
At bootup time when you see the 'booting into Centos 4.?" screen just hit a key (the "any key" of win fame) and then when
presented with the kernel choices--cursor down (arrow key) and pick the one just under the "unsupported" version--hit enter.
to remove the "undesirable" kernel
yum remove kernel-smp-2.6.9-22.0.2.106.unsupported
(after rebooting into the old kernel!!and beware if it wants to remove a bunch of stuff other then just the kernel "unsupported" and kernel-devel "unsupported" stuff----also never use the -y switch--it'll never ask you if this is "Alright"--yum will obligingly just do it and sometimes that removes a BUNCH of deps you need)
Now as to the "sane" answer--if this works for you--I did good--if not--??

fhj52

Post by fhj52 » 2006/01/24 20:57:37

There's life here! :-D

Thank you. I suppose you are saying that yum and uptodate are separate programs and they don't talk. I did not know that; thought they were friends.
I'll add the --exclude=kernel as well as RTFM. Thanks for the tip.

I [i]do[/i] want yum and/or uptodate to update, in general.

But updating kernel? ...[b]and[/b] setting the new kernel as the default? ...[i]AND[/i] not providing a pop-up or even a shell message: [i]DANGER! DANGER! Will Robinson. Your kernel has been updated![/i]

That's [i]crazy[/i].

Doing a "broadcast" is not that hard. Cannot be - i used to get them all the time. Doing a popup might be pretty hard since it w/b highly DE dependent(i would not want to try implenting it...).
I know this is "RHEL" but does that mean it has to be RHEL-Wrong too? I don't suppose there is a good answer to the last one since one camp will say it has to match RHEL in every way and the other will say it should be more like but maybe CentOS could take the approach that SOME things should be changed and might filter back to RHEL to actually make it better.

I don't trust RHEL anymore than I trust other distros and that is only a tiny bit more than I trust MS(which is not at all). I tried finding out why I would need a new kernel, three times now, and been unsuccessful. I deserve to have that info. It has to be somewhere but I must be looking in the wrong places. I actually thought "Security & Updates" would have that info. Silly me. :-)

[b]w5set said: I wouldn't use uptodate for any reason now.[/b]
Huh- Why?

edit:
PS
Anyone that answered is sane because anyone that answered understood somewhat why I think it's crazy to install and default use a new kernel. Among other really good reasons, I have nVidia drivers for graphics (and platform, too)... in a week or two I'll probably have my own custom kernel.

w5set

Post by w5set » 2006/01/25 23:17:35

Seems to me--and I have been wrong more then a few times--you can add the exclude=kernel command to the /etc/yum.conf file
and it won't do it's 'thing" thataway or go thataway after booting.
and running the uptodate configuration will allow the same "exclusion".
Believe me--the "sane" question for me is still up in the air--ask any of a dozen or two of my co-workers..hi-hi.
But I like to just think of myself as "unique" or an "antique"--maybe an unique antique?

fhj52

Post by fhj52 » 2006/01/26 21:07:23

Okay, Unique Antique. :)
But why not use up2date?

w5set

Post by w5set » 2006/01/27 02:18:50

Well, I don't like it--uptodate.
YMMV of course.
Yum is dependable--configurable and easy to use.
Rpm is same as Yum for most stuff.
Command line use is easier (for me) then using several pages of GUI stuff.
Uptodate is slowwwwwwwww. As bad slow as kyum or yumex.
Yum can be a cron job.
However as a cron job--it uses the -y switch and I really don't reccommend using that.
And the -y switch usage (yum) for removing apps is sometimes sheer Linux suicide.
And as you found--auto updateing can be misery sometimes--I would rather pick and choose what or when I need stuff.
Yum/rpm have a lot of nice options/switches to use and they are usually very capable.
Guess it's actually personel preferences.
It's kinda like the Gnome/KDE thing, I guess.
Also Uptodate (Centos Update actually) is just a slow frontend to yum, and lastly--it's gonna be a dodo bird soon--it's really not being supported much even by RedHat. (that's "dough dough" bird--not the stuff I usually accomplish doing to my system from time to time).

z00dax

Post by z00dax » 2006/01/27 02:57:22

one thing, not pointed out, is that the unsupported kernel only comes from the CentOSPlus repository - which is DISABLED by default.

the user has obviously enabled it himself, therefore the extra packages being updated.

Edit: by default yum is setup to only update packages from the OS and Updates repositories, which will never contain an unsupported kernel. No matter how yum is run it will never automatically enable the other repositories unless the use specifically asks for them

fhj52

Post by fhj52 » 2006/02/04 16:48:16

[quote]
z00dax wrote:
one thing, not pointed out, is that the unsupported kernel only comes from the CentOSPlus repository - which is DISABLED by default.
[/quote]So?!? ...
[quote]the user has obviously enabled it himself, therefore the extra packages being updated.
[snip]
[/quote]Updated? How can you call it an update ... it is not an "update" as far as I can tell.

It does not matter if the packages come from the moon, a kernel should not be installed by default as the default kernel with no warning to the system admin.

w5set

Post by w5set » 2006/02/04 22:27:43

Guess updating can be a pain--sometimes.
right click the blue arrow--exit and get out of it.
click start--system tools--Centos Network Alert Icon
on that little menu when it comes up--click Retrival/Installation--make sure the box at
"Do Not upgrade packages when local config file has been modified"
(your old kernel with "config" changes for nvivia should have fallen under this umbrella)
is checked.
next tab at top is Package Exceptions
make sure the "kernel" is listed in the box--if not--click add and put it there.
click ok
make sure the /etc/yum.conf file has exclude=kernel in it on a line by itself.
This should/may prevent the next update from ever getting a new kernel without your permission.

fhj52

Post by fhj52 » 2006/02/06 21:34:41

It works differently here for some reason. No little 'exclusion box' available. I know it exists because I rem' seeing it and configuring it with exclusions for the kernel. As mentioned, I had that before. So it (CentOS updater) should be set.
It was probably yum that did the deed.

yum.conf does have the exclude in it... for now.

The real point here is that the system [i]does[/i] need to be kept up-to-date but the sys admin needs to make the decision. It would be better if the updates could be listed with information pertinent to why they are "updates" rather than just installing them or listing the standard info that one gets from rpm -qi

Gotta go...

Thanks, again. :-)

Return to “CentOS 4 - Security Support”