Outgoing POP server not responding

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
ToastyHost

Re: Outgoing POP server not responding

Post by ToastyHost » 2008/09/08 12:12:11

I'm not running Sendmail... I'm pretty sure i'm running EXIM. Is this not the standard mail server for CentOS 4.6?

Should i try installing one of Sendmail or PostFix? Do you think this would solve my issues?
I really don't know where to go next... I've spend days and days sorting through a massive amount of information, understanding little.

ToastyHost

Re: Outgoing POP server not responding

Post by ToastyHost » 2008/09/08 12:21:39

Okay, fixed the problem, solution being:

Setup EXIM QMAIL SENDMAIL to listen on additional SMTP port

With the recent mitigation spam exercise in TM Network, I received phone calls from my friends complaining on unable to access remote SMTP server listening on port 25 from TM Network. TM Net took an immediate action on the same day itself the email notification was sent out as well as the news notification was published in their website. I quickly relay this message to my friends and they got frustrated. To overcome this email relay issue on SMTP port 25, some of the local web hosting provider had created an additional SMTP port for email relaying to their affected clients.

So, I would like to share on how to setup EXIM, QMAIL or SENDMAIL to listen on additional SMTP port using iptables in a Linux mail server box if you are a web hosting provider or you have a co-located server in a data center. Make sure iptables is installed. Just run the following command below: -

/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 2525 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 25

The iptables command above will redirect any request access to TCP destination port 2525 to port 25. You can change the port number 2525 to your preferred port number. Hope this help you guys. Good nite. :)

Taken from: [url=http://wingloon.com/2007/12/05/setup-exim-qmail-sendmail-to-listen-on-additional-smtp-port/]WING LOON[/url]

Return to “CentOS 4 - Server Support”