High load and file access performance issues using cluster suite and GFS

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
eztarg3t

High load and file access performance issues using cluster s

Post by eztarg3t » 2008/08/28 18:22:24

We recently replaced our very old file server that was running OSF and it's cluster software with the following conifguration:

2 x Dell 2950's dual duo-core w/15GB ram connected to a SAN over fiberchannel.

Centos 4.6 with CSGFS packages, all yum updated.

The only thing we are using this for is nfs exports only to multiple nfs clients.

Under what I would consider fairly low usage, the cluster is struggling pretty badly, with load averages at times hovering around 8-10 for hours at a time (our old fileserver by comparison, would rarely get above 1.5-2).

For speed, we do all of your mounting UDP. After launching and having load averages staying around 25, I increased the number of nfs processes from the default to 256, and that made a big difference, but it is still no where
like it should be. With 4-5 clients doing reads, and 1-2 clients doing a lot of small file writes, the load jumps up to the 8-10 I discussed earlier.

I have not had a lot of luck finding people using the CSGFS stuff on centos and therefore no tuning tweaks beyond what is the the public documentation for it.

If anyone has any experience/ideas on helping to resolve this, it would be greatly appreciated. All we're doing is serving files, I can't understand why that is so difficult for this software!

Sincerely,

Doug

eztarg3t

Re: High load and file access performance issues using cluster suite and GFS

Post by eztarg3t » 2008/08/28 19:20:13

I have an update. I can easily create a load spike with very little effort. We have a samba server that mounts this file server via nfs, and serves user shares via cifs. If I map my home directory from a windows client to our samba server, and ran a virus scan on my home directory which was slightly less than 5000 files. It was fast, only took 1 minute 20 seconds, and the samba server saw virtually no effects, but the file server itself jumped to a load of 6.5 during the scan.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Server Support”