CentOS 4.6 sendmail mail aliases? generics?

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
clamor

CentOS 4.6 sendmail mail aliases? generics?

Post by clamor » 2008/07/31 16:38:39

I'm trying to get some automated messaging working and I'm running into a fight between mail servers.

I work for company A at company B and our mail (company A) is handled by company C.

My server is on-site at company B and relays mail through a company B server. All mail to company B passes without trouble (I can even send to gmail & the like). However, part of the spam filter employed by company C performs a reverse lookup on the full domain listed in ctladdr=.

Can someone give me some direction on how to change what my server is sending out as ctladdr? I'm not even sure which sendmail feature would change this value.
Let me know which, if any, files you'd need to see.

I started using webmin to manage sendmail because it didn't seem that any of the edits I was making to the configuration files were making any changes. I have managed to get the reply to addresses to change for the two users I'm working on at the moment, but it does not edit ctladdr.

Thanks,
Chaz

clamor

Re: CentOS 4.6 sendmail mail aliases? generics?

Post by clamor » 2008/07/31 17:20:11

With the help of a co-worker, I determined that I had a mal-formed host file. Having the FQDN on the 127.0.0.1 line appends @FQDN to ctladdr. Without it there only the username is put in ctladdr. Without an @domain, company C has nothing to look up and the messages pass!

Additionally, I had put company A in Local Domains at some point, so that slowed me up a bit.

Now I need to figure out relaying!

Hope my mistakes help someone else out!
-Chaz

Return to “CentOS 4 - Server Support”