service unavailable - e-mail rejected from outside network

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
kphillips

Post by kphillips » 2008/03/25 21:43:21

I've got Centos 4.6 Final, sendmail, dovecot IMAP and also recently implemented the the spam-proof e-mail suggestions posted here in August, 2006 (using spamassassin, clamav, milter-greylist, etc.).

Everything was working fine until today when I was trying to set up a procmailrc file to filter out the spam that slips past the spamassassin system and also to filter other e-mails from mailing lists into folders. The only thing I can remember really changing was renaming the global procmailrc file. After changing it back, my server is not accepting mail from outside my network. When I send mail from outside my network (from my AIM account) I get a "service unavailable" message.

The command I used on the global procmailrc file was: mv -i /etc/procmailrc /etc/procmailrc-2007-11-27. I've tried re-creating a new file with 644 permissions but it still doesn't work. I can't recall changing anything else.

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

michaelnel

Post by michaelnel » 2008/03/27 18:05:23

/etc/procmailrc is not required to be able to receive mail, so for testing purposes move it out of the way.

From a machine outside your network can you telnet to the smtp port of your server, ie: "telnet server.my.domain 25"? If that doesn't work then your sendmail is not reachable from the outside.

If you can "telnet localhost 25" while logged into the server, then sendmail is up and listening at least on localhost and it is likely that you either need to enable sendmail to listen on your network interfaces or there is a third possibility that a firewall (either yours or your ISP's) is blocking port 25.

kphillips

Re: service unavailable - e-mail rejected from outside network

Post by kphillips » 2008/03/27 20:27:19

Thanks for the reply. I eventually (yesterday morning) removed everything with yum (procmail, dovecot, sendmail, etc.) then re-installed them and re-configured. It worked after that. I'm sure you were right that the global procmailrc was getting in the way. I've got my firewall configured to trust SMTP but port 25 isn't specifically opened. At the moment, I *can* telnet to port 25. It seems to be working for the moment but I have a few other things I want to configure so I'm sure I'll be leaning on this forum again! ;) Thanks for all the help.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Server Support”