Single sign on for SFTP that does not include root user

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
LANLocked

Single sign on for SFTP that does not include root user

Post by LANLocked » 2006/12/08 19:22:17

I have a network of many sites hosted on many machines to which I have site designers that need access to upload/download files. In the past a single non-root user account was used by all of the designers to do all of their uploading/downloading to the web servers (using sftp via filezilla). It has been decided by myself that the current system allows for many mistakes to be made unaccounted for (ie. I am tired of restoring deleted documents from backup and would like to keep track of who deleted/uploaded what/when).

As a solution I have created openssh rpms with the sftp-logging patch (http://sftplogging.sourceforge.net/) so that there will be an ftp style log trail. I also plan to create separate unique user accounts for all of the designers. The problem that I run into is password management. Maintaining one user/pass combo across many machines is trivial however keeping up with many user/pass combos across many machines is (much) more difficult.

Thus my question is this. Is it possible to set up a single login server for certain user accounts via either LDAP, NSS/NIS, Samba, etc.. so that I can create a unique user account for each designer that could be maintained in one location? The caveat is that I want to maintain unique root passwords for all of these machines as they are facing the internet -- yes I have SSH restricted to certain blocks of IP addresses, however I am somewhat paranoid and do not want any single point of entry to the entire network. Part of this upgrade will be to disallow root logins via ssh as well, however I still would like to maintain unique root passwords for each machine if it is possible.

I apologize in advance for the long post. If this is not the correct area for this post please point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

rapo1

Re: Single sign on for SFTP that does not include root user

Post by rapo1 » 2006/12/13 12:58:55

Hi LANLocked

even if I don´t exactly know where your problem is, it seems to me that the use of the s-bit (sticky-bit) could help you.
The use of the s-bit (as an attribute for read/write/execute-permissions) for a folders only allows the owner of a file to delete it. But any user who has access to this folder has the 777-permission.

Maybe that will help you.

LANLocked

Re: Single sign on for SFTP that does not include root user

Post by LANLocked » 2006/12/19 17:38:39

Thank you Rapo1 for the suggestion. I am going to research this, but I really would like to have a log-trail of who/when/what. This would allow me to isolate "problematic" designers. :)

Return to “CentOS 4 - Server Support”