Problems with Nautilus/Samba displaying Windows 2000 shares

Issues related to configuring your network
smatott

Problems with Nautilus/Samba displaying Windows 2000 shares

Post by smatott » 2007/06/19 14:12:57

I'm preparing to deploy a number of CentOS PCs in a heterogeneous network of Windows 2000 and Windows XP Pro PCs. Samba server is running properly, as the windows boxes are able to browse into the CentOS shares via Network Neighborhood. Going the other way, there seems to be something wrong with either the Samba client or the Nautilus browser (or both). The Nautilus Network browser is able to resolve and display all of the hostnames of all Windows machines, and is able to display and give access to the shares for all of the Windows XP machines. However, the browser is not able to display the shares of the Windows 2000 machines. Instead, when a Windows 2k machine is clicked on, the following message-box appears: "The Folder Contents Could Not Be Displayed", "You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of: ...” In the Nautilus browser, if the name of a specific share is manually appended to the host-name of a Windows 2k machine (e.g. smb://Win2k/Temp), then the browser prompts for a user-name and password and then allows browsing into the share. All machines are configured to use a common user-name and password and are connected to the same workgroup (no domain).

I've been hunting around various Linux user-groups and have seen similar complaints reported but have yet to discover an explanation or satisfactory solution. It's been suggested elsewhere that it's a bug in the Nautilus browser (I'm running Nautilus 2.8.1)...is it possible to upgrade Nautilus software without upgrading the GNOME desktop?

smatott

Re: Problems with Nautilus/Samba displaying Windows 2000 shares

Post by smatott » 2007/06/19 16:55:19

I have unearthed a clue that would suggest the problem is with Samba and not Nautilus. When I type the 'smbtree' command from the shell prompt, the Samba service queries the network and displays all connected Windows hosts. However, the smbtree program only displays the shares of the Win XP hosts and not of the Win 2k hosts. For example:

smatott > smbtree
\\WinXP Windows XP host
\Temp
\smatott
\common
\\Win2k Windows 2000 host

smatott >

I presume that Nautilus is using smbtree in the background and formatting the result in a graphical manner. Thus, since smbtree isn't listing the win2k shares, neither will Nautilus. Based on this observation, I'm thinking of upgrading the CentOS Samba packages. Has anyone done this successfully? If so, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

toracat
Forum Moderator

Post by toracat » 2007/06/19 19:02:44

Have you tried the smbclient command like:

smbclient -L

or

smbclient //remotehost/sharename

See also:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/WindowsShares

Akemi

smatott

Post by smatott » 2007/06/19 21:11:34

Upgrading to samba 3.0.25a corrected the problem with smbtree and now the Nautilus browser is able to display and navigate all of the Win 2k shares. Curiously, when navigating into either Win XP or Win 2k shares, I am prompted for a username and password. For the Win XP shares, I can just click cancel and continue navigating. For the Win 2k shares, I must enter in the username and password. I am using a common username and password for all shares (Windows XP, 2K and CentOS) and I have added this user to samba using the smbpasswd command. Has anyone experienced this sort of behavior?

For the record, here's a writeup of the procedure I followed to upgrade the samba services:

Installation instructions for samba v. 3.0.25a
(upgrades standard samba that comes with CentOS v. 4.4)

Samba files downloaded from:
http://ftp.sernet.de/pub/samba/centos4-i386/

More discussion of samba installation at:
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=8683

Install instructions (modified from those provided by fthomas in forum topic id 8683):

;upgrade the smb client library files in place
rpm -Uvh libsmbclient-3.0.25a-33.i386.rpm

service smb stop ;stopping services

rpm -ev samba-client ; remove samba-client

;force removal of both samba and samba-common
;the force removal lets you keep the conf files in place
rpm -ev --nodeps samba
rpm -ev --nodeps samba-common

;install new packages...
rpm -ivh samba3-client-3.0.25a-33.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh samba3-winbind-3.0.25a-33.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh samba3-3.0.25a-33.i386.rpm

;samba conf files are renamed during package installation,
; so just change them back.
cd /etc/samba/
mv ./smb.conf.rpmsave ./smb.conf
mv ./smbusers.rpmsave ./smbusers

;restart services
service smb start

Done!

toracat
Forum Moderator

Post by toracat » 2007/06/21 09:41:08

[quote]
smatott wrote:
Upgrading to samba 3.0.25a corrected the problem with smbtree and now the Nautilus browser is able to display and navigate all of the Win 2k shares. Curiously, when navigating into either Win XP or Win 2k shares, I am prompted for a username and password. For the Win XP shares, I can just click cancel and continue navigating. For the Win 2k shares, I must enter in the username and password. I am using a common username and password for all shares (Windows XP, 2K and CentOS) and I have added this user to samba using the smbpasswd command. Has anyone experienced this sort of behavior?
[/quote]
Do you happen to have 'Simple file sharing' enabled on your XP machine? Have you checked whether password is required when you try to access the same XP box from other Win or Linux machine?

Akemi

smatott

Post by smatott » 2007/06/22 13:40:02

Simple file sharing is not enabled on any of the machines. In fact, the guest account is disabled on all of the windows machines.

After much trial and tribulation, I abandoned the use of Nautlius for Network browsing and installed KDE/Konqueror for that purpose. Konqueror works properly with samba (even the older version that came with CentOS 4.4). It can successfully load Win 2k and Win XP shares and the KDE control center allows for setting a specific username and password to use....setting these options in KDE control center allowed for browsing in konqueror without having to re-enter passwords all the time.

Apart from being rather difficult to configure the look-and-feel of konqueror (konq is so configurable that it is nearly unconfigurable, especially given the skimpy documentation that is provided via help:konqueror), I am generally quite pleased with using Konqueror as a Network Browser. The only buggy thing that I've run into so far is that konqueror will display hidden windows shares, which have a '$' postfix, as opposed to the unix/Linux standard of a '.' prefix. This is undesirable. Does anyone know how to configure konqueror/KDE to not show hidden windows shares?

toracat
Forum Moderator

Post by toracat » 2007/07/04 19:53:12

[quote]
smatott wrote:
The only buggy thing that I've run into so far is that konqueror will display hidden windows shares, which have a '$' postfix, as opposed to the unix/Linux standard of a '.' prefix. This is undesirable. Does anyone know how to configure konqueror/KDE to not show hidden windows shares?[/quote]

It's a "feature" and yes, it is undesirable. I found the following description for a possible answer. I have not tried it myself yet, but seems like a reasonable solution.

"Alternatively, you can break all browsing connections by manually setting up the IPC$ share with a set of restrictions that prevent people from connecting to it. The IPC$ share is a hidden inter-process communications share that SMB uses for things like browsing. To prevent browsing for all shares, you can just create the IPC$ share section and put a hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0. You should also put a hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 so the local computer can use the IPC$ share."

Return to “CentOS 4 - Networking Support”