Need to load cdc-acm at boot to create /dev/ttyACM0

Issues related to configuring your network
tonyd

Need to load cdc-acm at boot to create /dev/ttyACM0

Post by tonyd » 2007/03/14 00:09:07

I have a problem which is the fault of my service provider not Linux.
The modem provided & is connected to usb & uses both lines to provide 128 data over voice connection isdn.
As I live in a remote area of Australia I this is my only viable option.

I need to use wvdial under gnome, (kpp works fine in KDE), & set up manually using /dev/ttyACM0 & including some specific dial strings not /dev/usb/ttyACM0 which is the option presented by the Gnome wizard. It's not there anyway.

How do I load the cdc-acm module?
I tried modprobe cdc-acm which usually works but not in CentOS under Gnome.
Any thoughts?

tonyd

Lenard

Re: Need to load cdc-acm at boot to create /dev/ttyACM0

Post by Lenard » 2007/03/16 19:02:32

[quote]
tonyd wrote:
I have a problem which is the fault of my service provider not Linux.
The modem provided & is connected to usb & uses both lines to provide 128 data over voice connection isdn.
As I live in a remote area of Australia I this is my only viable option.

I need to use wvdial under gnome, (kpp works fine in KDE), & set up manually using /dev/ttyACM0 & including some specific dial strings not /dev/usb/ttyACM0 which is the option presented by the Gnome wizard. It's not there anyway.
[/quote]

Niether kppp or wvdial are correct to use..........

[quote]
How do I load the cdc-acm module?
I tried modprobe cdc-acm which usually works but not in CentOS under Gnome.
Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Why do you think you need to load the cdc-acm module??? You just said the usb ISDN modem works just fine with kppp, the module is loaded. Check; cat /proc/modules | grep cdc_adm or /sbin/lsmod

Anything wrong with setting up a proper ISDN configuration that works for any GUI or the CLI???? Make sure you have the isdn4k-utils package is installed (it most likely is BTW) and use system-config-network. Here is a link to the CentOS-3 System Administration guide, the version for CentOS-4 is missing the ISDN portion for some reason;

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/3/docs/html/rhel-sag-en-3/pt-network-related-config.html

It is a lot easier to use ifup/ifdown ippp0 for this.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Networking Support”