Network goes down in CentOS 4.4

Issues related to configuring your network
newjamie

Network goes down in CentOS 4.4

Post by newjamie » 2007/03/05 17:52:58

Hi

I use CentOS for serving files over Samba and i'm very impressed with it, however it seems to suffer a similar problem I had when using FC5.

Basically, there are about 10 users connecting to it using Samba on our LAN, some of them using Mac OS X and some on Win XP. Occasionally, the Mac users notice Word (as an example) that they're working on hangs if they're working on the Word document directly off the server and Word quits. I don't know if this is an isolated Mac OS problem, but I haven't been able to replicate it elsewhere.

I check the server and CentOS is no longer reachable remotely (entire networking seems to be down), I can't ping out either, and I have to sit at the system and manually reboot. Usually it takes about 3 reboots for the network interface to come back up. There are no error messages on startup - can someone point me in the right direction as it's driving me nuts!

I'm using all the default packages on CentOS 4.4 (i386) on an Athlon 64 running on a Asus A8N-E nForce 4 Ultra motherboard and using the onboard NIC.

I'm thinking it's an nForce chipset incompatibility or something, but can someone help or tell me what logs I should be looking at?

Thanks!

pjwelsh

Re: Network goes down in CentOS 4.4

Post by pjwelsh » 2007/03/05 18:15:49

I have read a few interesting (not so good) things about some of the nforce drivers at the kernel rev we have... You don't mention which chipset, but you could try the forcedeth nvidia ethernet driver from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.21.html

I personally would rather spend a few bucks for an Intel or 3Com, however.

newjamie

Post by newjamie » 2007/03/06 11:38:54

Thanks, i've installed those drivers and will see if that does the trick. Can you point me in the direction of the articles? I've seen a few via google, but they don't seem to describe the specific problem I'm experiencing.

The motherboard chipset is an nForce 4 Ultra as stated above, I'm not sure exactly what chipset the network card uses - Asus's website seems to imply that it's nVidia's own chip.

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/03/06 12:43:13

pjwelsh is correct, the nVidia drivers will greatly improve things........

The default forcedeth and IDE hard drive interfaces (for examples) are known to be somewhat of an issue under load. On one of my systems the hard drive throughput increased 10+ fold and Ethernet issues (packet drops) went to zero by using the nVidia's kernel modules. Check with your motherboard's web site and see if pre-compiled drivers for RHEL4 are available first.

newjamie

Post by newjamie » 2007/03/06 18:58:31

Well I installed the new drivers (lan and SATA) and still the same problem when everyone was connected late this evening.

Found a D-Link PCI NIC knocking around so i'll give that a try before I order a nice new Intel one or the like.

pjwelsh

Post by pjwelsh » 2007/03/06 19:11:14

Disable the onboard NIC for best results (few interrupts to handle). You can always re-enable it.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Networking Support”