Centos as a Print Server on a Windows Network

Issues related to configuring your network
guvn

Centos as a Print Server on a Windows Network

Post by guvn » 2007/01/16 12:54:16

I am new to linux and centos.

We have a windows 2000 network and I want to setup centos as a print server. We already have a print server on a windows server and want to move the print server to a linux server.

I want to do a minimal install of centos but firstly I need to know what I need to install from the custom setup or what package I need to make sure I install.

Also I need some advice on how I can setup centos as a print server on a windows network. I need step by step advice or any articles. This would be very helpful and appreciated.

foxb

Re: Centos as a Print Server on a Windows Network

Post by foxb » 2007/01/16 15:24:12

Just configure your ptinter in CentOS and share it (do not forget to open ipp firewall port).

Then configure tcp/ip printing at your windows machines.

arrfab
Site Admin

Post by arrfab » 2007/01/16 22:12:23

You'll need samba packages . basically you'll enter you centos box in the windows domain, you create the queues , start samba, import Windows drivers ...
Check the http://www.samba.org documentation, it's full of examples (like for example net rpc printer migrate) ...

foxb

Post by foxb » 2007/01/17 15:54:03

[quote]
arrfab wrote:
You'll need samba packages . basically you'll enter you centos box in the windows domain, you create the queues , start samba, import Windows drivers ...
Check the http://www.samba.org documentation, it's full of examples (like for example net rpc printer migrate) ...[/quote]

Sorry arrfab, but I disagree - you do not need samba configured to share a printer only all you need is TCP/IP printing and proper lp queue

for reference:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/russel_october22.mspx
http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html

Samba is needed if user want to see \\server\printer

arrfab
Site Admin

Post by arrfab » 2007/01/19 17:10:20

[quote]
guvn wrote:
We have a windows 2000 network and I want to setup centos as a print server. We already have a print server on a windows server and want to move the print server to a linux server.
[/quote]

Foxb : try first to read the question ... :-D
I know of course that a winblows machine can print directly to the printer ... but that was not the question ....
I you use only tcp/ip printing, you'll need to install locally the printers/drivers on each machine ... in the samba approach, a simple user will simply connect to the samba queue configured on the server and windows drivers will be automagically downloaded .....

foxb

Post by foxb » 2007/01/19 17:43:10

I did not want to say that it is impossible to do it with samba, but mostly to give additional way of doing it... :idea:

Right answer depends on more factors - like company policy(some companies does not allow users to choose printers), is there AD(in that case is very easy to deploy drivers and config changes and lower support time) or just several stations ....etc....

Lets leave the choise to guvn....:pint:

arrfab
Site Admin

Post by arrfab » 2007/01/19 18:05:36

/me drinks a good and tasty belgian beer with foxb :pint:

Return to “CentOS 4 - Networking Support”