Samba and vmware server

Issues related to configuring your network
me_cb_24

Samba and vmware server

Post by me_cb_24 » 2006/12/05 20:34:00

Quick profile: CentOS 4.4 running host to VMware XP Pro client. I would like to setup a network share to be able to swap files from the virtual XP machine to my host Linux system. I setup samba to share the directory with my username only. When attempting to connect to \\myserver\myshare from XP, I get only: "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: An extended error has occurred." Helpful.

In XP I can see the host server in Explorer and using 'net view.' Interestingly, if I turn off the option for password encryption option in the Samba GUI (Applications >> System Settings >> Server settings >> Samba, then I get an error in XP that I cannot connect from this account. I ahve scoured several forums and pages trying to solve this problem, and nothing has worked so far. I even tried re-installing my Samba config using How-tos, but always get the same problem.

Any adivce? Has anyone been able to run XP using VMware with a CentOS host and Samba file sharing?

Thanks!

gerald_clark

Samba and vmware server

Post by gerald_clark » 2006/12/05 20:37:56

did you use smbpasswd to set the password for your user?

me_cb_24

Re: Samba and vmware server

Post by me_cb_24 » 2006/12/05 20:56:23

yes - tried using the gui and 'smbpasswd' with the same results. Also enabled the user using the -e switch. Windows login name is the same and CentOS, but I also tried using the "different login" option of the Windows map network tool. Same results.

rapo1

Post by rapo1 » 2006/12/06 07:21:21

Hi me_cb_24,

if you only want to share files between the vmware and the host it is hosted on, you can create a shared folder. There you can put in files either from the host or the vmware.

And what file-system do you use? To use samba the file-system of the partition must be readable and writeable for Linux and Windows.

me_cb_24

Post by me_cb_24 » 2006/12/06 16:42:34

Hi rapo,

CentOS is installed on ext3, but I thought that was the point of Samba... to allow files on a Linux filesystem to be shared with Windows and vice-versa. I have shared my VMware XP folders and can access them from Linux using Konqueror and SMB (haven't been able to get the Nautilus SMB to work, though). That means moving files to Windows anytime I need them, which is annoying. It would be ideal to be able to read/write directly from the Linux host using a mapped network drive in VMware XP.

me_cb_24

Post by me_cb_24 » 2006/12/06 20:27:02

Update:

Wiped out everything and started from the beginning following this HOWTO:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=296668

Changed everything to fit my machine/network and did everything through step 10. Tried connecting from Windows and at least got a screen that asks for my username/password. Good... samba doesn't know who to let in, so I moved onto step 11:

"smbpasswd -L -a user1

[root@]# smbpasswd -L -a user1
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Unable to open/create TDB passwd
pdb_getsampwnam: Unable to open TDB passwd (/etc/samba/passdb.tdb)!
TDBSAM version too old (0), trying to convert it.
TDBSAM converted successfully.
Added user user1."

"smbpasswd -L -e user1

Enabled user user1"

Now, when I try to connect from Windows, I get the "extended error" message again. Clearly, there is something wrong with how username/passwd is being handled. The username/passwd is the same in Linux and Windows. What else can be going on here? Is this related to the TDBSAM error?

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Post by NedSlider » 2006/12/06 22:29:32

Do you have another (real) windows machine available to try connecting to your samba server to test?

I normally use a usb pendrive to swap files between host and client, mainly as I want the host isolated from my network. If you don't get an answer shortly, I'll quickly set up a samba server on my box and test it for you.

A few things on the windows side to check - firewall disabled (and on linux too!) or at least ports 137-139 and 445 opened, same username/password and workgroup used, and finally, on the windows host users [b]MUST[/b] be forced to log in by entering their username and password (no quick booting straight to the desktop) in order to authenticate.

[quote]
rapo1 wrote:
Hi me_cb_24,

if you only want to share files between the vmware and the host it is hosted on, you can create a shared folder. There you can put in files either from the host or the vmware.

And what file-system do you use? To use samba the file-system of the partition must be readable and writeable for Linux and Windows.[/quote]

I think the shared folder facility is only available in a non-bridged network setup. Most users use a bridged network for simplicity to avoid having to route traffic through the host machine.

SMB/Samba is totally independent of the underlying file system.

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Post by NedSlider » 2006/12/06 22:55:57

OK, just set up a quick and dirty samba server on my VMWare host. I had no problems connecting from the WinXP Pro VM client, even from a different user account - just entered my username and password at the prompt to authenticate myself.

rapo1

Post by rapo1 » 2006/12/07 12:22:27

This is not correct. I use bridged network and have shared folders with VMware Workstation 5.5.

me_cb_24

Post by me_cb_24 » 2006/12/07 15:10:15

Problem solved... the issue was in the "force group = user1" line in smb.conf as suggested by the HOWTO. I found out this was the problem because I could see the Samba share from the XP client using Explorer, but clicking on it gave a different error than before (and more useful) "The group name could not be found." Disabling the group name in smb.conf made everything work perfectly. If only the error message in the "map network drive" tool had been useful, this could have been solved long ago...

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Return to “CentOS 4 - Networking Support”