CentOS ISP Server

Issues related to configuring your network
ChildOTK

CentOS ISP Server

Post by ChildOTK » 2006/11/18 13:40:36

Hi guys / girls.

I need some help,

I have a server running CentOS 4.4 running atm, supplying people in a block of flats internet access, with use of an ADSL line.

On the server I am making use of a firewall and squid proxy for the users to get connected, on the same server I have an SMTP server, email server, a few other things running on it. Now at present the setup allows virtually anybody access to the internet if they get their PC setup correctly on the network. Now I was making use of proxy authentication, which helped alot, but most people didnt like having to put in a username and password in everytime they wanted to open a page, and some of their applications could not be setup for proxy use etc etc.

So I took away the authentication bit, but things that dont make use of proxy, example Skype, and P2P Applications, etc, dont go through the proxy, that includes FTP, and other things. My main issue is I am not able to track bandwidth usage per user, except for if they go through the proxy which logs their usage. I have an MRTG graph graphing my eth0 and ppp0 connections, but unfortunatally in a sense this is not good enough when trying to track 10 different users, soon to be more users.

I have tried setting up a PPPoE server, with no luck, keeps failing on authentication. I have tried it on another server that does not have a ppp0 connection, and it works fine, only with 1 user as thats all I could test. Now I am assuming the PPPoE server is not working because of the fact that the server has an ADSL connection which it is sharing, which on the system happens to be ppp0.

I would like to have some sort of system that would allow me to track usage acuratally per user, aswell as limit users on my network, and if possibly being able to log a graph like MRTG for their 'interface'. I know there is something like RouterOS which Miktorik makes, but that is quite limiting in terms of management, and one cant run a webserver, mail server, etc.

If anybody has any ideas / howto's or anything that can help out, will be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
ChildOTK

fjones

Re: CentOS ISP Server

Post by fjones » 2006/12/01 20:22:05

What about setting them up with VLAN's? Each gets their own vlan and you graph traffic per VLAN? I've not done VLAN's with linux but I hear they work. VLAN capable switches are pretty cheap too. You could even just grab the traffic from the switches.

ChildOTK

Post by ChildOTK » 2006/12/01 21:05:41

Thanks for your reply :)

I have had problems with VPNs before, although it was on a redhat 9 based system, a problem I had with it was I had another linux box dialing into that server, and it never seemed to hold the connection, and the other linux box that was dialing in, never automatically reconnected, so that wasnt to kewl, otherwise I had it working at a stage where I had windows machines dialing in and it seemed ok, only problem I has was with the routing, the connected accounts could ping the server, and the server them, but the clients could not ping each other.

Also when I tried accessing the internet it didnt go anywhere, so the masquerading was not working on those ppp+ interfaces. I guess if i play around a little more I could probably get it done.

Regards,
ChildOTK

tomer

Post by tomer » 2007/01/31 16:04:29

Hi ChildOTK,

We have been using similar deployments for our network.

On the server you can install Chillispot an open source access controller application.
For our RADIUS Server, user management and accounting we are using the Aradial Radius server by Aradial Technologies.
The system allows us to define monthly users, prepaid cards, prepaid vouchers, online self sign up via credit cards as well as assign sessions timeout, data limits and bandwidth shaping on a per user or per service group.

The Aradial server will monitor online sessions and will maintain session accounting history for our various reports.
I have attached a couple of screenshots for example including the summary page and view sessions.

The solution can be implemented in high availability deployments as your network grows and supports local or centralized RADIUS server deployments.

You can find additional information on Aradial at http://www.aradial.com
Aradial has free evaluation version with simple installation and configuration for CentOS including the setting of Chillispot as well well as an online demo

I hope this helps in your deployment.

Tomer

ChildOTK

Post by ChildOTK » 2007/01/31 17:18:18

Hi Tomer,

Thanks very much for the reply.

It looks to be exaclty what I am looking for, I will most definitally look into it.

Your file you posted up seems to have a problem though, I downloaded it three times, and on each when I extract it, it says the archive is damaged or corrupt?

Once again, thank you, it is greatly appreciated.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Networking Support”