Supported Cards Outta the Box

Issues related to configuring your network
BwanaBob

Re: Supported Cards Outta the Box

Post by BwanaBob » 2007/02/23 00:39:49

[quote]I have read your posts, you want someone to tell you exactly what to purchase. ...........[/quote]

Nope, I want to know what's working for others.
I can decide for myself what to purchase.

[quote]The sad fact is many of the wireless interfaces available today do not have Linux drivers. Many manufactures/re-branders change the hardware without changing the model number and sometimes the version number. Therefore manufacturer make and model numbers do not mean that much in Linux, the chipset or pciid number is used.

A few based on the Intel ipw 2100/2200/2945 (mostly in laptops) for example are supported but they need firmware and or drivers built (ipw3945 for example). Many of the others that work natively with Linux also need firmware and/or drivers built. Both the LinkSys WMP54G and a WUSB11 are supported via ndiswrapper and 64-bit drivers are available [in some cases] if you do the 'leg work', here have a look yourself:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

Two WUSB11 devices are list, each which different 32-bit Windows drivers required, sorry no 64-bit drivers listed. A number of WMP54G devices are listed a few with links to where 64-bit Windows drivers can be found. If your running a 64-bit OS then you need the 64-bit drivers for are required for ndiswrapper, if a 32-bit OS then the 32-bit drivers are required for ndiswrapper to work.[/quote]

Thanks for the background and to-the-point frankness about the state of Linux wireless.
I've done my 'leg work' and worked thru that list and CD drivers, which is what prompted this post in the first place.

[quote]BTW If you read my post carefully you should notice that I gave no model numbers. The reason is three of the four are no longer sold, the other is built into my laptop which I did not provide any details about. The prism54 driver one required a firmware file to be downloaded, the file name changed and copied to the correct location.[/quote]

Appreciate it.

[quote]Good Luck, you are going to need it.[/quote]

Yep, already knew that.

[quote]FYI: the smart questions link. while being cute. provides useful information to those that need help in breaking the narrow tunnel vision mentality the use of Microsoft Operating Systems seems to cause.[/quote]

I'm sure the MS Windows people will appreciate that link.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » 2007/03/01 13:44:24

Hi BwanaBob-

I'm looking for the same thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you ever find a good wireless solution for CenOS?

Jimbo

netricsLLC@yahoo.com

BwanaBob

Post by BwanaBob » 2007/03/02 15:04:04

Not yet.
I'm planning on stopping by Best Buy tonight on the way home and grab a DLink card.
I expect to go thru the ndis route for installing a driver.
I'll let you know how it goes.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » 2007/03/02 18:40:17

Hi BwanaBob-

I was planning on doing the same thing- gonna leave work in a few
minutes to check best buy and compUSA.

I am going to try a DLink DWL-650 or something. I am not going to
compile or recompile anything- if it won't work, I'm going back to Ubuntu!

BTW-

I have Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) free download. It recognized my linksys
wusb54g out of the box- absolutely amazing, no muss-no fuss. HOW in the hell
can Ubuntu do this and the other distro's can't or won't ?? I just wiped out
Ubuntu a few days ago to install CentOS beacuse someone told me it was better
(stonger & more stable) as a server- which it probably is. But hell, if Ubuntu
IS THE ONLY DISTRO that can pick up my wireless card- that's what I'm gonna
go with. I was up and running, wireless, apache server, php, sql, and SSH server
(for FTP) in less than an hour with Ubuntu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK-

I'll post here for you on any progress I make. Please keep me posted on any
progress you make as well.

Jimbo

tasm

Post by tasm » 2007/03/09 13:02:24

[quote]
I was up and running, wireless, apache server, php, sql, and SSH server
(for FTP) in less than an hour with Ubuntu !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]
Keep calm, Ubuntu is mainly for desktop use, that's the reason why WLAN support is integrated "out-of-the-box". Have you ever seen a server connected to the WAN using WLAN? Sorry, but it's no wonder that RedHat did not integrate the support for wlan devices, imho they wanted to keep the system stable and reliable, thats definitely not possible using wlan-devices with wireless-G.

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/03/09 17:32:37

Errr..........

Ubuntu uses what some (Red Hat and other Enterprise Linux vendors) consider things like ndiswrapper, certain firmware files, the nVida drivers and the ATi drivers 'tainted' and does not include them. Ubuntu supplies these 'tainted' drivers/modules which why WLAN support is integrated "out-of-the-box".

Feel free to also install ndiswrapper and other 'tainted' drivers/modules for RHEL / CentOS yourself then WLAN works and is integrated "in-your-box" also, just remember Red Hat / CentOS does not officially support this.

The supported WLAN devices for Red Hat / CentOS all are open sourced and considered clean. Most of these WLAN devices are a bit old and some while the drivers are clean but they need firmware files which are considered 'tainted' and therefore not supplied. Feel free to download these firmware files as appropriate, again they are considered 'tainted' and not officially supported.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » 2007/03/09 21:27:19

HI Lenard-

Do you know of any wireless pci card
that will work out-of-the-box ?

I'm sorry- I don't un derstand all you were talking
about in your post- I'm EXTREME "newb"

Thanks-
Jimbo

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/03/10 00:29:27

Many wireless devices that use either the prism2/2.5/3, orinoco or ipw2100 chipsets work just fine, which ones by brand and model number I cannot say. That's really a lot of work to keep up on, check with Red Hat's HCL to find out;

https://hardware.redhat.com/hwcert/index.cgi

Maybe this will help you understand;

Red Hat considers ndiswrapper to have come from "unclean sources" so they do not supply the driver or support it. Red Hat is an American company which has legal concerns providing things that are not clearly open sourced or is owned/licensed by them.

Ubuntu does not think that ndiswrapper is 'tainted' or 'unclean' and provides it, they also have a lot of firmware files that might be considered 'unclean' or tainted' by Red Hat. Ubuntu is part of Canonical Limited which is a global organization headquartered in Europe and therefore does not have the same legal concerns as Red Hat.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » 2007/03/11 04:28:02

Thanks Lenard-

You have been very helpful and I appreciate you helping me understand this.

Jimbo

Return to “CentOS 4 - Networking Support”