Supported Cards Outta the Box

Issues related to configuring your network
BwanaBob

Post by BwanaBob » 2006/09/11 21:05:41

Does anyone know of wireless cards supported by CentOS 4.x right out of the box? USB, PCI, or PCIe.
I've given up on trying to re-configure a LinkSys WMP54G and a WUSB11.
Thanks

BwanaBob

Re: Supported Cards Outta the Box

Post by BwanaBob » 2007/02/20 01:40:25

Bump

foxb

Post by foxb » 2007/02/20 14:49:50

Majority of wireless cards are supported via ndiswrapper if there is no native driver

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

BwanaBob

Post by BwanaBob » 2007/02/21 05:57:02

But, I'm looking for a native driver.
Thanks.
P.S. Your link's dead.

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2007/02/21 14:24:56

The link works here.

BwanaBob

Post by BwanaBob » 2007/02/21 20:20:36

Are there any moderators here with some knowledge on any wirless cards that been succesfully installed?
Aren't any of you using wireless?

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_40_2691.shtm states that various engineers and staff @ Red Hat are using Cisco, Lucent Orinoco's, Belkin, DLink, and Netgear wireless cards.
I looked around for Linux drivers from these companies and found none.
This is more significant as I was unsuccessful at installing via ndiswrapper.
The system logs entry stated that the driver was 32bit, not 64bit. !@#$%!@#$!!!
The reference to the 'kernel-unsupported' package containing natively supported cards has my interest. (puzzling contradiction)
However, I'm unfamiliar enough to know how to get to that package and check its contents.

That link is alive from here at work today.
Was busted from home last night.

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/02/22 11:14:58

And what have you tried??? nidswrapper???? The 32-bit driver does not work in a 64-bit OS is means you choose the wrong driver, get the 64-bit version.

You could help yourself out a lot more if you provide the details, maybe you should review:

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/smart-questions.html

Nobody here are mind readers nor do we have crystal balls, if you cannot explain in some detail what you have and what you have attempted then all one can do is guess or try and pull the information from you. Save us the effort and provide it, please.

In your multiple posts to this thread the only things known so far are:

I've given up on trying to re-configure a LinkSys WMP54G and a WUSB11.
The system logs entry stated that the driver was 32bit, not 64bit.

Personally I have used and use Lucent (orinoco driver), Dell (orinoco driver), Netgear(prism54 driver with firmware) and my built-in Broadcom 4318 wireless (ndiswrapper with Windows drivers) interfaces. both 64 and 32 bit for all.

BwanaBob

Post by BwanaBob » 2007/02/22 20:22:19

"get the 64-bit driver"

There isn't one.
So, I'm not wasting any more effort on the cards I happen to have.

"provide more details"

I'm seeking details, not providing them.
I'm seeking cards that are known to work.
You don't need to read minds or have a crystal ball to tell me what works for you.

Thanks for the references to specific cards that work for you.
I will try these.
Bingo.

Cute link.
Try reading my posts more carefully.

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/02/23 00:08:30

I have read your posts, you want someone to tell you exactly what to purchase. ...........

The sad fact is many of the wireless interfaces available today do not have Linux drivers. Many manufactures/re-branders change the hardware without changing the model number and sometimes the version number. Therefore manufacturer make and model numbers do not mean that much in Linux, the chipset or pciid number is used.

A few based on the Intel ipw 2100/2200/2945 (mostly in laptops) for example are supported but they need firmware and or drivers built (ipw3945 for example). Many of the others that work natively with Linux also need firmware and/or drivers built. Both the LinkSys WMP54G and a WUSB11 are supported via ndiswrapper and 64-bit drivers are available [in some cases] if you do the 'leg work', here have a look yourself:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

Two WUSB11 devices are list, each which different 32-bit Windows drivers required, sorry no 64-bit drivers listed. A number of WMP54G devices are listed a few with links to where 64-bit Windows drivers can be found. If your running a 64-bit OS then you need the 64-bit drivers for are required for ndiswrapper, if a 32-bit OS then the 32-bit drivers are required for ndiswrapper to work.

BTW If you read my post carefully you should notice that I gave no model numbers. The reason is three of the four are no longer sold, the other is built into my laptop which I did not provide any details about. The prism54 driver one required a firmware file to be downloaded, the file name changed and copied to the correct location.

Good Luck, you are going to need it.

FYI: the smart questions link. while being cute. provides useful information to those that need help in breaking the narrow tunnel vision mentality the use of Microsoft Operating Systems seems to cause.

BwanaBob

Post by BwanaBob » 2007/02/23 00:39:49

[quote]I have read your posts, you want someone to tell you exactly what to purchase. ...........[/quote]

Nope, I want to know what's working for others.
I can decide for myself what to purchase.

[quote]The sad fact is many of the wireless interfaces available today do not have Linux drivers. Many manufactures/re-branders change the hardware without changing the model number and sometimes the version number. Therefore manufacturer make and model numbers do not mean that much in Linux, the chipset or pciid number is used.

A few based on the Intel ipw 2100/2200/2945 (mostly in laptops) for example are supported but they need firmware and or drivers built (ipw3945 for example). Many of the others that work natively with Linux also need firmware and/or drivers built. Both the LinkSys WMP54G and a WUSB11 are supported via ndiswrapper and 64-bit drivers are available [in some cases] if you do the 'leg work', here have a look yourself:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

Two WUSB11 devices are list, each which different 32-bit Windows drivers required, sorry no 64-bit drivers listed. A number of WMP54G devices are listed a few with links to where 64-bit Windows drivers can be found. If your running a 64-bit OS then you need the 64-bit drivers for are required for ndiswrapper, if a 32-bit OS then the 32-bit drivers are required for ndiswrapper to work.[/quote]

Thanks for the background and to-the-point frankness about the state of Linux wireless.
I've done my 'leg work' and worked thru that list and CD drivers, which is what prompted this post in the first place.

[quote]BTW If you read my post carefully you should notice that I gave no model numbers. The reason is three of the four are no longer sold, the other is built into my laptop which I did not provide any details about. The prism54 driver one required a firmware file to be downloaded, the file name changed and copied to the correct location.[/quote]

Appreciate it.

[quote]Good Luck, you are going to need it.[/quote]

Yep, already knew that.

[quote]FYI: the smart questions link. while being cute. provides useful information to those that need help in breaking the narrow tunnel vision mentality the use of Microsoft Operating Systems seems to cause.[/quote]

I'm sure the MS Windows people will appreciate that link.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Networking Support”