Bios for linux?

Issues related to hardware problems
DANNDP

Bios for linux?

Post by DANNDP » 2010/04/21 05:24:11

Hello Centos community,

This is my first time with a IBM server, and i would like to know some things, currently we are running Asterisk PBX under Linux CentOS on a IBM X3650 7979B1U, our Bios version is 1.13, i would like to know how can i make a bios upgrade? since this is a production server, is it dangerous to make? do i need to make a change to a special bios version for linux?

The problem is that our software application is hanging up every 4 or 5 days, i'm remote and seems to me that this is a hardware problem...

What tools, software can help me to check if the server has some hardware problem?

The BIOS must be a linux special one?

Thanks in advance for your valuable help!

Regards

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Bios for linux?

Post by pschaff » 2010/04/21 20:03:52

There is usually no special BIOS for Linux. It is generally best to use the latest BIOS available from the manufacturer.

Are you seeing any error messages in the logs? Have you tried tracking RAM usage? Is the application hanging "permanently", intermittently, or crashing? If it is always the same application it would seem more likely to be a problem with the application than a hardware problem, unless the application has some unique relationship to particular hardware.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”