Raid1 setup defunct? doesn't contain a valid partition table on second drive

Issues related to hardware problems
spirited

Raid1 setup defunct? doesn't contain a valid partition table on second drive

Post by spirited » 2009/10/04 16:27:26

Situation: Power failure on UPS caused hard drive damage and wont boot

Hardware: HP DL320 G2 - ATA100 Megaraid controller - (fake raid) and 2 WD 160GB drives

Configuration: Raid 1 with Controller, RAID with with Software RAID - LVM and RAID... I think that's how its described.
When setting up, the setup saw both drives, instead on one, so we setup software raid, boot, swap and payload (partitions)
(Over the last couple of months of operation, I have seen logs and statements while booting, alluding to the syncing of data...)

Damage: Primary hard drive spins but isn't recognized by the bios/controller
Secondary hard is recognized but will not boot

Operations preformed: Booted with CentosLiveCD, wouldn't boot up as it hung when Secondary drive was present
Booted with CentosLiveCD in a desktop and saw disk with 3 partitions, but weren't initialized. I have also tried Knopptics, Fedora, and ResuceCD all with similar results.

Seems as though the 160GB drive is recognized but no partitions are 'seen'. Strange thing is at one point I could see 3 drives that said "Auto RAID partition" or something similar to that.

I am uncertain how to tackle this. Some wrote about cfdisk, some are making distinction between MDAM and LVM...

Can someone help prior to disk being sent out?

spirited

Re: Raid1 setup defunct? doesn't contain a valid partition table on second drive

Post by spirited » 2009/10/05 04:02:18

Positive Update

I was able to fix the partition table with Testdisk from Rescue live cd

Still unable to mount drive I have followed this document and made progress to step 6. http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8874

Does anyone know how I can do the vgcfgrestore if I have corrupted lvm config file?

Please help!

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Raid1 setup defunct? doesn't contain a valid partition table

Post by pschaff » 2009/10/06 17:05:00

Guess you have learned the difference between LVM and software RAID by now. Not sure what you mean by step 6 - the steps in the LJ article don't seem to be numbered. Perhaps Listing 6?

You have not provided nearly enough information about your system to get good help. For a start:
[code]
fdisk -l
df -h
cat /proc/mdstat
cat /etc/mdadm.conf
[/code]

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”