Help needed to "see" NTFS Hdd. (Cent OS 4)

Issues related to hardware problems
strikemrb1

Post by strikemrb1 » 2008/08/05 20:41:52

Hello. I am a complete newbie to Cent OS. I have just installed Cent OS 4 and need my system to share out my second drive to a Windows XP desktop.

During the installation I made certain that Anaconda could see the second 500Gb drive. Anaconda was able to see this drive and report back a correct capacity for this drive and also it was recognised as NTFS. However once the instal had completed I was not able to access the drive anywhere on the system. I found a "file browser" that would only let me go up as far as the "\" root level. Does the second NTFS Hdd need to be mounted or does Cent OS do this automatically during log in or boot?

I found the Samba server options where I managed to create a user but due to the Hdd not being found I was not able to share it out over my home LAN.

Any help appreciated.
Thank you.

toracat
Forum Moderator

Post by toracat » 2008/08/05 22:16:47

Welcome to CentOS. I encourage you to read this first:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=47

If you search CentOS Wiki, you will find:

http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/NTFSPartitions

Please try following the instructions there. If you get stuck, you can come back and ask questions here.

strikemrb1

Re: Help needed to "see" NTFS Hdd. (Cent OS 4)

Post by strikemrb1 » 2008/08/12 20:35:29

Hello and thank you for the director.

1. Can you tell me how do I find out if the RPMForge Repro is installed? (I am assuming that this is a package of code that NTFS-3g needs to operate)? Do I do this through "Terminal"? Also can you tell me how to find out if the ATrpms is installed? I assume it's a similar way to how I find out if RPMForge is installed..?

2. Step 1 is yum install fuse fuse-ntfs-3g dkms dkms-fuse. Do I need to download "Fuse"? Or is this part of my current distribution?

(dkms and dkms-fuse install the fuse kernel module)
I dont't undestand what this means.

3. Maybe I should give up this seems way to hard,..

toracat
Forum Moderator

Re: Help needed to "see" NTFS Hdd. (Cent OS 4)

Post by toracat » 2008/08/13 21:16:14

Sorry, I could not reply sooner.

[quote]
strikemrb1 wrote:

1. Can you tell me how do I find out if the RPMForge Repro is installed? (I am assuming that this is a package of code that NTFS-3g needs to operate)? Do I do this through "Terminal"? Also can you tell me how to find out if the ATrpms is installed? I assume it's a similar way to how I find out if RPMForge is installed..?[/quote]
You need to do most of the work by typing at the the command line prompt in a terminal window. First take a look at this CentOS wiki article:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

In the [/quote][b]3rd Party Repositories[/b] section, you will find the instructions on how to set up repositories such as rpmforge and ATrpms.

[quote]
2. Step 1 is yum install fuse fuse-ntfs-3g dkms dkms-fuse. Do I need to download "Fuse"? Or is this part of my current distribution?

(dkms and dkms-fuse install the fuse kernel module)
I dont't undestand what this means.[/quote]
Once you have set up the rpmforge repository, all you need to do is to type [b]yum install fuse fuse-ntfs-3g dkms dkms-fuse [/b] at the command line prompt.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”