recommended hardware configuration

Issues related to hardware problems
Michal

Re: recommended hardware configuration

Post by Michal » 2008/08/25 20:39:48

Thanks again for your fast answer. :)

I'am not sure if I got what you mean.

Currently, ECC is diabled in BIOS. So, I enable it and if the system hangs on reboot I just clear the real time clock, enable again ECC in BIOS and boot again. That's it? Is this what you mean?

By the way, makes it a difference, having the memory sticks in slot A1+B1 or in A2+B2?

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2008/08/25 21:31:00

[quote]Currently, ECC is diabled in BIOS.

So, I enable it and if the system hangs on reboot I just clear the real time clock, enable again ECC in BIOS and boot again. That's it? Is this what you mean?[/quote]
That should work, but maybe you didn't actually clear the real time clock (RTC) the first time around.

One point often glossed over by CLRTC instructions: Do remove the battery before switching the jumper. Sometimes it works with the battery in place and sometimes it doesn't. It always works with the battery removed.

If that wasn't it and you are still unable to boot with ECC enabled, then you may need to upgrade or downgrade the BIOS revision, depending on which CPU is installed. Assuming you are using the Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe motherboard, you are currently at least two back from the latest BIOS revision (1502, last time I looked), but upgrading to the latest release may not be appropriate for your CPU.

Based on personal experience, the older AM2 processors may not boot correctly, if at all, using the latest BIOS revisions. A bunch of mine cannot go beyond revision 0903.

You can go to the Asus download site, search for the motherboard using their assisted search, open the BIOS section and then open the URL listed with each revision to find out which BIOS revision supports your processor. I cannot get the Asus site to respond right now, so those instructions are from memory, no pun intended.

You may need the processor revision, which you can determine at the AMD site by using the retail part number found on the retail packaging. The CPU revision is the first letter of the stepping.

[quote]By the way, makes it a difference, having the memory sticks in slot A1+B1 or in A2+B2?[/quote]
Regarding memory placement, install matched memory pairs in sockets of the same color for dual-channel to work. It's described in the motherboard manual.

Michal

Post by Michal » 2008/09/23 20:10:49

Hi, here I am again after a few days of vacation. :)

I exchanged the memory sticks but had still the problem with the memory, when ECC enabled in the BIOS.
So I upgraded the BIOS and it seems to work now. :)

But I wonder why dmidecode says: Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities: None

Any idea?

"# grep -i edac /var/log/dmesg" shows no errors.

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2008/09/23 23:08:54

The exact/correct answer to your question is probably above my pay grade. :-D

From the latest [url=http://www.dmtf.org/standards/smbios]System Management BIOS (SMBIOS) Specification[/url] (DSP0134: System Management BIOS Reference Specification, v2.6 Final), the options for Memory Controller Error Correcting Capability are: Other, Unknown, None, Single Bit Error Correcting, Double Bit Error Correcting and Error Scrubbing.

At first glance, one would conclude that “None” means that errors are not corrected by the northbridge memory controller, but maybe someone at a higher pay grade can fill in more details.

Michal

Post by Michal » 2008/09/24 05:08:23

Do you have access to any of the systems with the M2N-SLI Deluxe board and with ECC memory in it?
Do you get also "None" for the Memory Controller Error Correcting Capability?

P.S.
From my experience, there is not allway a relationship between pay grade and competence. :-D

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2008/09/24 16:20:20

Systems with Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe, M2N-E and M2NPV-VM motherboards equipped with 2-8GB ECC memory and having ECC enabled in BIOS all return:

[code]# dmidecode -t memory
Memory Controller Information

Error Detecting Method: 64-bit ECC
Error Correcting Capabilities: None
Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities: None
...[/code]
So one wonders whether the true answer is detect=yes, correct=no. Not exactly my expectation.

Michal

Post by Michal » 2008/09/24 16:30:35

Thanks a lot again.
Your answers were very, very helpful. :-)

WhatsHisName

Post by WhatsHisName » 2008/09/24 16:37:34

You're welcome.

Michal

Post by Michal » 2009/09/25 12:01:55

it is about one year later and I need another server.
The M2N-SLI Deluxe is doing very well thus, I would buy it also for the new server, but sadly, it is not available anymore. :(

So, I have to chose any other board, again with ECC support.
I think, I will take the Asus M4N82 Deluxe, but I would like to know if there is somebody using this board with CentOS?
Or, can somebody recommend any other board?

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”