Intel ICH9R SATA Raid driver

Issues related to hardware problems
LMH_medchemist

Post by LMH_medchemist » 2008/03/03 18:53:55

I have been trying to install CentOS 4.1 x86_64 on a system with a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R motherboard, which has the Intel P35 Express/ICH9R chipset. The Cent Install CD does not have a driver that it needs and prompts to insert a floppy with a diver for the device on which the install packages are located. Both the HDD and the optical drive are SATA devices. I am not sure why the installer needs a driver, since it must be able to read the CD if I am reading the instruction to insert a floppy.

At any rate, I believe that to proceed with the install, I need the Intel ICH9R SATA Raid driver for Linux. The Intel and Gigabyte websites make this driver available for most versions of windows, but appear to be at a loss for Linux. The Gigabyte CD has all of the windows drivers as well. There is a folder in the Gigabyte CD called /boot/isolinux/ which contains isolinux.bin, isolinux.cfg which I cannot get to do anything. I did not have this problem with a Ubuntu installation on the same system, but that's Debian and I don't know if the drivers are different.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated,

LMH_medchemist

LMH_medchemist

Re: Intel ICH9R SATA Raid driver (Partial Solution)

Post by LMH_medchemist » 2008/03/10 17:17:08

The good news:
I was able to install CentOS 4.1 on my Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R,E8400 system by moving the SATA connections for the HDD and optical drive to SATAII0 and SATAII2, which are the top two (top left orange, top right orange) connector ports. I originally had the HDD in the SATA2 (purple) port, which I think was the problem. The Gigabyte documentation indicates that the purple ports are GSATAII0 and II1 which are controlled by the Gigabyte SATA2 controller, not the Intel ICH9 chip. It was probably the Gigabyte SATA2 controller driver that was missing.

The less-good news:
After installation, the OS was not able to connect to the internet. It would not recognize the on-board PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (Realtek Semiconductor). I was not able to configure the network adapter using any of the tools that I could find and kept getting "device not found" and such. I installed the server version, and I don't know if it requires a special setup for network stuff. I will try the vanilla desktop install and see if I can get it to work.

My hardware setup works out of the box under Ubuntu 7.10 x86_64 (which is how I am posting this) so I know that I do not have a bad network card. Any advice about the networking would be appreciated. :-?

LMH_medchemist

toracat
Forum Moderator

Post by toracat » 2008/03/10 18:38:21

For the Realtek driver of your motherboard, take a look at this CentOS wiki:

http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b

LMH_medchemist

Post by LMH_medchemist » 2008/03/10 22:45:26

Thank you for the information toracat, I will download the driver and put it on a usb stick before I try my next installation. Do you think there will be a problem in that I am installing 4.1 and the Realtek documentation says 4.5?

LMH_medchemist

toracat
Forum Moderator

Post by toracat » 2008/03/11 00:24:31

[quote]
LMH_medchemist wrote:
Do you think there will be a problem in that I am installing 4.1 and the Realtek documentation says 4.5?
[/quote]
If you use the .tar file from the realtek web site, the CentOS version is not an issue. However, the driver disks are rather version/release specific. The dkms driver works for any version, but it is available only for CentOS-5.

Perhaps, you should update the kernel to 2.6.9-55 so that you can use the driver disk. Or, if you can wait, I will ask Manuel (person who offered the dkms driver) to make one for CentOS-4.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”