INSTALLING NETWORK CARD

Issues related to hardware problems
Darrel

INSTALLING NETWORK CARD

Post by Darrel » 2007/01/31 04:09:34

IM HAVING PROBLEM INSTALLING A NETWORK CARD WITH CENTOS 4.4, MY PROBLEM STARTS WHEN MY BUILT IN NETWORK CARD IS HAS NOT BEEN DETECTED WHEN I INSTALLED CENTOS 4.4 FOR THE FIRST TIME, SO I HAVE TO INSERT A NEW NETWORK CARD FOR ABLE FOR ME TO CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. BUT WHEN I INSTERTED THE NETWORK CARD THAT I HAVE AND START INSTALLING AGAIN , IT SEEMS THAT THE NETWORK CARD THAT I HAVE INSERTED IS NOT DETECTED TOO, BUT ITS BRAND NEW. I WAS ABLE TO INSTALL THE CENTOS OPERATING SYSTEM SUCCESSFULLY WITH MY COMPUTER BUT IT DOESNT HAVE AN NETWORK CARD INSTALLED ON IT, IVE CHECKED THOSE NETWORK CARD THAT ARE SUPPORTED WITH CENTOS, BUT SAD TO SAY THE DRIVER OF MY NETWORK CARD IS NOT IN THE LISTS, THE DRIVER OF MY CARD IS IN A FLOPPY DISK, THE PROBLEM IS I DONT KNOW HOW TO LOAD IT WITH CENTOS 4.4, IS THERE ANYBODY CAN TEACH ME HOW TO INSTALL MY DRIVER USING A FLOPPY DISK. FOR ABLE FOR ME TO CONFIGURE THE INTERNET CONNECTION,

THANK YOU

Lenard

Re: INSTALLING NETWORK CARD

Post by Lenard » 2007/01/31 12:27:24

First things first: Please do not shout at us, posting a query in all capital letters is considered SHOUTING and is rude.

Second you have not provided any information about your hardware at all. It would be helpful to know this information. As a suggestion please read; http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Essays/smart-questions.html

and the guides found here; http://www.centos.org/docs/4/

Your welcome

Darrel

Post by Darrel » 2007/02/01 03:00:43

Oh am so sorry about the capitalization.... i have a question is CNet PRO 200 PCI Fast Ehternet compatible with CentOS 4.4, because before i switch to CentOS 4.4,, am using Windows Xp prof OS, and the Network Card that i have the one ive mentioned is working properly with Windows Xp, but when i switch with CentOS it doesnt seem to be recognized or detected, not even by the "Anaconda", when i try the "lspci", it just loop back and it doesnt display nothing. When am trying to add the Network Card its also not available in the lists of CentOS, but i have with me the neccessary driver for my NIC, can you me help install my network card with CentOS , coz i want to learn how to troubleshoot those kind of the with Linux. plzzzz. Thank You very Much.

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/02/01 12:11:01

It would be nice to see the output from the typed command; lspci -v
(just the part for the Ethernet interface please.)

Brand names are not very useful because many manufactures like to change the hardware and keep the same name, part numbers and version numbers sometimes which is not helpful. Also many people do not fully report all of this information which leads one to guess a bit.

I'm not 100% sure if this is your card or not but according this HCL it should work, but you might need the CentOS plus kernel installed or you might need to build your own.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=820&cat=131

BTW: Apology accepted (but not needed), it was no biggie. Just wanted to let you know some consider this as rude and in bad taste.

Darrel

Post by Darrel » 2007/02/03 06:20:09

Another question sir, it seems that i'am not getting the exact idea of what u r trying to tell me, sir can u teach me how i can add the NIC driver that was in my flopp disk! coz may be it will work, coz am familiar on doin it with windows, is there a property in linux that is the same sa in windows concerning with adding an NIC driver using a floppy disk drive.?

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/02/03 12:22:17

Well, I asked if that was your Ethernet interface, you could compare the output from the typed command to find out;

/sbin/lspci -v

If not then post the output from the typed command, cut and paste if possible or copy by hand. All you need to show is the Ethernet portion, for example;

[code]
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0083
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 173, IRQ 19
I/O ports at 1800 [size=256]
Memory at e2005000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at 58000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
[/code]

If it is then you can try using the tulip module or the dmfe module as root try;

/sbin/modprobe -v tulip
/sbin/modprobe -v dmfe

Report the output if you need to. If one or the other does not report a problem (device seems to be not present) then you know which kernel module to use. Both of the kernel modules are available;

$ rpm -qlip kernel-2.6.9-42.0.8.EL.x86_64.rpm | grep tulip
warning: kernel-2.6.9-42.0.8.EL.x86_64.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 443e1821
/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.EL/kernel/drivers/net/tulip
/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.EL/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/de2104x.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.EL/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/de4x5.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.EL/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/dmfe.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.EL/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.EL/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/winbond-840.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.9-42.0.8.EL/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/xircom_cb.ko

So try following the directions in the System Administration Guide;

http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-sag-en-4/pt-network-related-config.html

And choose the Davicom DM9102(A)/DM9132/DM9801 fast ethernet Ethernet adapter as per post #5 from the link I provided.

Darrel

Post by Darrel » 2007/02/05 03:35:28

sir when i type /sbin/modprobe -v tulip or dmfe, in the command line it just display this "/lib/modules/2.6.9.42.0.8.EL/kernel/drivers/net/tulip.ko & dmfe.ko, and if i type /sbin/lspci -v, it just loop back and dispaly nothing. And i have encounter another error message, when i restarted my computer, "Could not look up internet address for patts.edu.ph (our domain name). This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding patts.edu.ph to the file /etc/hosts, what should i do with this? Is this means that either of my Built-in LAN CARD and CNET PCI LAN CARD is that recognize at all, and its not detectable? please help me, am so desperate to fix it!@ thank YOU

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/02/05 11:38:40

It sounds like your Ethernet device is known but not configured. Not a big deal just follow the guide;

http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-sag-en-4/pt-network-related-config.html

For the hostname issue see from the console or xterm session for the details; man hostname

Also contact your schools IT support center, they should be able to assist you in configuration for your system.
It sounds like you may need to gain permissions (maybe hardware wise) to be allowed access, they should be able to answer this.

Darrel

Post by Darrel » 2007/02/06 03:24:46

i have all the privelege regarding with the access, the thing is whenever i go to SYSTEM SETTINGS =>NETWORK, it doesnt display anthing not a single hardware, though i have a built-in and a PCI LAN card, so i tried adding the PCI network card that i have inserted in the PCI slot. and i tried adding it NEW=>ETHERNET CONNECTION=>OTHER CARD, but i cant find it! it seems that i have to install the driver manually, i have the driver its in a floopy disk, but my problem is i dont know how to do it. this is the first i have encountered this problem, i have installed a few computer units witH CentOS 4.4, and there no problem at all, the usual scenario is, before installing all the packages CentOS 4.4 will ask me to configure the network, and theres no problem with, i know the DNS, gateway,domain name and the subnet mask.

But when i install CentOS 4.4 with the computer that has a problem regarding with the NIC, i know there's something wrong with the PC, because, CentOS 4.4 didnt ask me to configure the Network before proceeding with the installion of the packages. Not like the previous installation i have done before.

Can u teach how can i install the NETWORK CARD that i have manually,,, or there is any other way i can install the driver of my NIC so that i can configure it using GUI.

Darrel

Post by Darrel » 2007/02/06 03:31:14

i have all the privelege regarding with the access, the thing is whenever i go to SYSTEM SETTINGS =>NETWORK, it doesnt display anthing not a single hardware, though i have a built-in and a PCI LAN card, so i tried adding the PCI network card that i have inserted in the PCI slot. and i tried adding it NEW=>ETHERNET CONNECTION=>OTHER CARD, but i cant find it! it seems that i have to install the driver manually, i have the driver its in a floopy disk, but my problem is i dont know how to do it. this is the first i have encountered this problem, i have installed a few computer units witH CentOS 4.4, and there no problem at all, the usual scenario is, before installing all the packages CentOS 4.4 will ask me to configure the network, and theres no problem with, i know the DNS, gateway,domain name and the subnet mask.

But when i install CentOS 4.4 with the computer that has a problem regarding with the NIC, i know there's something wrong with the PC, because, CentOS 4.4 didnt ask me to configure the Network before proceeding with the installion of the packages. Not like the previous installation i have done before.

Can u teach how can i install the NETWORK CARD that i have manually,,, or there is any other way i can install the driver of my NIC so that i can configure it using GUI.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”