CentOS and Installin on SATA2 HDD

Issues related to hardware problems
mrtdc

Re: CentOS and Installin on SATA2 HDD

Post by mrtdc » 2007/01/11 17:32:52

Cool - that is great news - I had forgotten that the next release is looming :-)

BTW, as an aside, just to mention:

If people are not familiar with "Gnu Partition Editor" (GpartEd) - it is a lovely tool for use when you are cooking a multi-boot machine from something that had windows installed (and using the entire HDD).

GpartEd works more-or-less like "Partition Magic" used to .. allows to resize (shrink) the WindowsXP NTFS partition non-destructively and then create (if desired) slices for Linux (or your linux installer can just use the free space available and leave windows alone).

The Ubuntu installer has this GpartEd step built-in (very slick) and of course that liveCd can be used just to run GpartEd if desired for non-ubuntu installs too (centOS, etc). OR, I believe there is no shortage of other liveCds with GUI environment which have GpartEd available.

Just wanted to mention this here since it was a very handy thing to have ...

Tim

tootie47

Re: CentOS and Installin on SATA2 HDD

Post by tootie47 » 2007/10/05 17:24:53

I just spent all night trying to get CentOS 5 installed on a SATA drive. I finally got it working. I noticed that when the anaconda installer was loading it was loading a AHCI SCSI driver. When I looked this driver up I found it was a Linux SATA disk driver. My hard drive already had Windows Vista installed and I wanted to add CentOS in another bootable partition but the Windows Vista system was using a "NATIVE IDE" configuration in the BIOS for the Sata drives not AHCI. I decided to delete the Windows system and I partitioned the entire SATA drive for Linux. I also set the configuration for the SATA drive in BIOS to AHCI. VOILA, no more disk problems!

As usual Linux and Windows don't work and play well with others. I hope this helps someone else.

Tootie47

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”