CentOS and Installin on SATA2 HDD

Post by Christopher » 2006/12/04 09:44:25

Hi Guys,

I have got 4 pc's that needs CentOS 4 with the following spec,

AMD Athlon 3500+
MSI K9VGM-V M/B
2 GB Ram
1X 160 Gig Seagate Barcuda HDD SATA2

The Problem is that everytime I try to install CentOS 4.4, It doesn't recognise the HDD and I have Selected the Via Drivers and it still doesn't recognise it.
I have also set the settings in the BIOS to IDE and there is nothing else I can set.

What I need is HELP!!

Thanks. :-( :-(

jasonxoxide

Re: CentOS and Installin on SATA2 HDD

Post by jasonxoxide » 2006/12/04 22:17:50

What SATA controller is on that board? Is there a linux driver disk available from MSI?

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Post by NedSlider » 2006/12/06 22:14:58

I'm not sure your motherboard supports SATA-II (300 MB/sec). Try jumpering your hard disks to SATA1 mode (150 MB/sec) and see if they're detected then.

kliker

Post by kliker » 2006/12/07 16:13:00

Same problem here,...on xSeries 306m.

Adaptec SAS/SATA host bus adapter (adp94xx) and WD 160GB SATA II and SAS HDD-s.
I've configured RAID-1 with two disks. Centos can see the RAID adapter,...but no disks...
:(

xous

Post by xous » 2006/12/25 15:45:14

ASUS p5BE-plus, core2duo, i965p, SATA 320GB by WD 24*7 has the same problem. Can not find the HDD to be partioned.

mrtdc

Post by mrtdc » 2007/01/10 00:24:54

I'm curious if a solution was ever found to this ? I have a couple of these now that might need to dual-boot CentOS..

I've tried already "linux dd" and loading "sata_via" module from CentOS4.4 64bit install CD, but this doesn't do the trick.

Thanks,

Tim

arrfab
Site Admin

CentOS and Installin on SATA2 HDD

Post by arrfab » 2007/01/10 10:56:42

[quote]
kliker wrote:
Same problem here,...on xSeries 306m.

Adaptec SAS/SATA host bus adapter (adp94xx) and WD 160GB SATA II and SAS HDD-s.
I've configured RAID-1 with two disks. Centos can see the RAID adapter,...but no disks...
:([/quote]
Kliker : you need to load a driver disk for your adp94xx adapter to be recognized .... search the ibm support website and this forum too because i always provided informations about this server .... (i've deployed a lot of these low-level entry ibm servers ...)

mrtdc

Post by mrtdc » 2007/01/11 15:50:51

Just a brief followup in case anyone is interested,

I did a bit more work with a system based on this MSI k9vgm motherboard with results as follows,

* CentOS 4.4 could only be easily installed if I used an PATA (not SATA) HDD. Possibly someone more brave could do various clever things to work around the SATA issue but I wasn't willing to invest the time

* However with PATA HDD for default CentOS kernel, the DMA features were disabled due to the chipset not being perfectly recognized. I suspect a custom build kernel would remedy this problem. Google searches suggested it was also possible to patch the IDE driver sources slightly to recognize the PCI_ID for this chipset and this would workaround the DMA_Disable problem. However -- currently available kernels (via YUM) for CentOS did NOT fix this problem. Not fixing this problem will result in mediocre HDD performace I believe

*Video was usable but not great: it was a VESA mode generic driver, since the ViaChrome wasn't well supported (again). There ARE open source OpenChrome drivers available, and also official Linux Via Chrome drivers for this chipset, but I didn't try to build them on CentOS. It is (In theory) doable.

* So, if you have this motherboard and MUST run CentOS - then be sure to use PATA not SATA HDDs as the "easiest way" to get a "usable if not optimal" system.

*Other distros, FYI:

-- Ubuntu 6.10 installed fine (SATA not a problem) but post-install video performance was terrible (worse than CentOS) - intolerable actually. There were various google'able guides on how to setup the Via video drivers but I didn't have much luck

--Fedora Core 6 / 64bit installed painlessly on this gear, with SATA (onboard sound also) working fine. Video is identified as "Unknown VIA" but works fine so I'm not messing with it.

--in all distro cases the onboard ether (Via RhineII) worked just fine, no fiddles required.

So, for the moment, I'll leave these machines with Fedora Core 6 I guess. They are primarily Windows workstations which have dual-boot for linux as a bit of an afterthought. Possibly by the time the linux side is actually used, CentOS might have better support for this hardware.

I suspect that given any choice in hardware, a comparable board (micro ATX form factor) which will be better supported for CentOS might be the "Gigabyte GA-M51GM-S2G" - this is also an AM2 socket board, with "everything onboard". Costs a bit more than the MSI motherboard, but it has benefits of (a) NVIDIA chipset that is better supported under linux, and (b) Gig-Ether with Marvell controller, which should offer decent gig-ether performance as a bonus. (The local clone shop sells the MSI board for $66 whereas the Gigabyte board is $99).

I hope this info might prove of some use to others, at some time in the future..

--Tim Chipman

pjwelsh

Post by pjwelsh » 2007/01/11 16:35:06

If FC6 is usable, you may be looking forward to the next few weeksish when RHEL5 then CentOS 5 comes out!

mrtdc

Post by mrtdc » 2007/01/11 17:32:52

Cool - that is great news - I had forgotten that the next release is looming :-)

BTW, as an aside, just to mention:

If people are not familiar with "Gnu Partition Editor" (GpartEd) - it is a lovely tool for use when you are cooking a multi-boot machine from something that had windows installed (and using the entire HDD).

GpartEd works more-or-less like "Partition Magic" used to .. allows to resize (shrink) the WindowsXP NTFS partition non-destructively and then create (if desired) slices for Linux (or your linux installer can just use the free space available and leave windows alone).

The Ubuntu installer has this GpartEd step built-in (very slick) and of course that liveCd can be used just to run GpartEd if desired for non-ubuntu installs too (centOS, etc). OR, I believe there is no shortage of other liveCds with GUI environment which have GpartEd available.

Just wanted to mention this here since it was a very handy thing to have ...

Tim

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”