Sound Cards

Issues related to hardware problems
Charles

Sound Cards

Post by Charles » 2005/04/30 14:55:04

Hi,

I am new to Linux although I did run Turbo Linux quite a few years ago for a short time.

I have installed CentOS 4.0 on my PC and its running fine with the exception of the Sound card. I have tried 3 differant sound cards and I have not been able to get any of them to work.

I have tried a Sound Blaster 16. I have tried a Sound Blaster Vibra 16. I have also tried a Soundblaster Audigy LS.

I have downloaded the CentOS source. Reconfigured the Kernel. Rebuilt the modules and the Kernel and installed the new kernel. No matter what sound options I try it just wont find the sound card. I have done a heap of searching on the Net about this and their is so many differant answers that its hard to follow. I did try many of the answers but still cant get any of the sound cards working. I tried isapnp but it wont compile on this version of CentOS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Charles

jimes

Re: Sound Cards

Post by jimes » 2005/05/10 12:50:37

My sound card is SB Live! value and it is work.
I think they can work normally because they are popular.
Maybe you can try to get some help from Creative website.

[url=http://www.creative.com/]http://www.creative.com/[/url]

JeanDavid

Re: Sound Cards

Post by JeanDavid » 2005/10/28 19:00:27

[quote]
Charles wrote:
Hi,

I am new to Linux although I did run Turbo Linux quite a few years ago for a short time.

I have installed CentOS 4.0 on my PC and its running fine with the exception of the Sound card. I have tried 3 differant sound cards and I have not been able to get any of them to work.

I have tried a Sound Blaster 16. I have tried a Sound Blaster Vibra 16. I have also tried a Soundblaster Audigy LS.

I have downloaded the CentOS source. Reconfigured the Kernel. Rebuilt the modules and the Kernel and installed the new kernel. No matter what sound options I try it just wont find the sound card. I have done a heap of searching on the Net about this and their is so many differant answers that its hard to follow. I did try many of the answers but still cant get any of the sound cards working. I tried isapnp but it wont compile on this version of CentOS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Charles[/quote]

I just upgraded my old machine from Red Hat Linux 9 to CentOS 4.2 (Like Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4), but the SoundBlaster 16 ISA card is not even detected. It works fine with Windows XP Home and it worked fine with Red Hat Linux 9. I could not get the sound to work with Fedora Core 2 either. What do I do to make it work? The Creative Labs site offers no help that I could find. :-(

Return to “CentOS 4 - Hardware Support”