Problem with SpamAssasin?

Issues related to software problems
Metroweb

Post by Metroweb » 2009/02/16 06:20:44

I have Spam Assassin enabled on my server and then I have filters set (in Squirrel Mail) to silently discard e-mail with "SPAM" in the subject line.

For 18 months, ever since I've had this server, this configuration has worked fabulously to reduce about 95% of incoming spam. But about a week ago I started seeing a sudden (and huge) spike in spam getting past the filter. I went from getting about 10 spams a day slipping through, to about 300. I checked to make sure the filter settings are still in place and they are, I haven't changed anything with regard to the filters.

So I'm trying to figure out what happened. Did some prolific spammer suddenly figure out a way to outsmart SpamAssasin? Do I need to upgrade my SpamAssasin version? Their site seems to indicate they're not aware of any recent problems.

Has anyone else experienced this?

michaelnel

Post by michaelnel » 2009/02/18 00:56:37

Are you certain spamd is still running?

What do the spam headers in the messages show?

Metroweb

Re: Problem with SpamAssasin?

Post by Metroweb » 2009/02/18 19:20:18

Well, after looking, spamd was not running. It appears to have stopped running several days ago, but I have no idea why.

I tried to restart it from both my control panel and from the command line, both failed with the message:
spamd: could not create INET socket on 127.0.0.1:783 Address already in use.

A quick netstat check showed that 0.0.0.0 was listening on that port TCP. Again, I have no idea why. After some research and trying a few things, the best solution I came up with was to just reboot the server. I hate doing that, but it fixed everything and SpamAssassin is now running again.

Thanks.

Return to “CentOS 4 - Software Support”