Low Free Space and No Volume Groups

General support questions including new installations
computerguy7

Post by computerguy7 » 2012/02/24 18:33:32

I have a CentOS 4.7 server running Cacti network monitor. vgscan returns no volume groups, so I assume I have none.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 33G 28G 3.7G 89% /
/dev/sda1 99M 43M 51M 46% /boot
none 1.9G 0 1.9G 0% /dev/shm

I am 89% full and I would like to add space. This is a virtual machine, so physically adding space is easy. I just need suggestions on how to make the guest OS see the space properly.

Without a volume group, do I need to boot to a live linux CD to expand the boot partition?

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Re: Low Free Space and No Volume Groups

Post by TrevorH » 2012/02/25 00:52:29

Or use fdisk to add a new partition and make it available that way. Either add that as an LVM PV or just a plain partition like the rest of the system. You can then format it, copy some portion of your existing filesystem onto it and mount the new partion on, f.e. /var/www/cacti/rra.

You should also take note of the sticky notice at the top of this section of the forum - CentOS 4 goes end of life in approximately 6 days and there will be no more security updates for it. Perhaps now might be a good time to start planning a move to a more recent release - CentOS 5 has about 5 years left and CentOS 6 more than that. Having just completed a migration of an existing cacti system from Ubuntu 7.10 to CentOS 5 I can say that it's not too hideous a migration - copy the rra's over, dump and restore the database and install cacti from EPEL - the latest version is 0.8.7i and is easily installable. Might rather depend on how many templates you've imported into the system I guess. The only thing I had to do that caused me problems was to clear the poller cache as some things were not updating correctly.

computerguy7

Post by computerguy7 » 2012/02/27 16:58:40

Thanks for the reply.

So I can use fdisk to expand my current partition if I boot from a Live CD?

Thanks for the suggestion about upgrading Cacti and CentOS. I will eventually when my work load decreases.

TrevorH
Forum Moderator

Post by TrevorH » 2012/02/27 21:48:32

What I was suggesting was that you add a new partition and format it, then copy a single directory with a substantial amount of data on it to the new file system. The you rename the existing directory and make a new one of the same name, mount the new partition on that directory and add it to /etc/fstab. Once everything is back up and running and verifiably happy then you delete the old copy of the data and free up space that way.

You could also use something like sysrescuecd to run gparted to expand the existing partition. You'll find that fdisk does not expand partitions unless you delete them and add them back again with the exact same starting position - and many people are understandably nervous of doing that.

computerguy7

Post by computerguy7 » 2012/03/01 00:54:42

I just found this link on google and I am downloading a Gparted Live CD as I type this.

http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

I feel real good about the process now. Thanks for your help.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2012/03/01 01:02:07

Glad you have a plan. Be sure you have a good backup before proceeding, and doing a fresh partition would be preferred to expanding one, but either [i]can[/i] work. Good luck, and please let us know how it goes, or come back with any questions.

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”