Manual Downgrade of glibc Ok?

General support questions including new installations
schogge

Manual Downgrade of glibc Ok?

Post by schogge » 2012/01/21 13:00:43

Hi all,

I have a centos 4 server which is running for several years now. It was never updated. Some days ago I did a yum update and more then 100 packeges where updated. After that a php application running on the server had a problem. It's original frontend is in english and it was translated into german using i18n. This translation is not working anymore. It's frontend is only in english now.

After playing around a lot I was not able to get it working. I figured out the problem has to do with glibc which was updated by yum from version 2.3.4-2.36 to 2.3.4-2.54. So I searched for glibc RPM with version 2.3.4-2.36. After installing glibc, glibc-common, glibc-devel and glibc-headers version 2.3.4-2.36 i18n seems to be working fine. My frontend is in german now. To install the RPMs I used this command:

yum -i --force glibc-2.3.4-2.36.i386.rpm

(same command for glibc-common, devel etc.)

My question is: Is this dangerous? Does it have any downsides? Will it affect me in the future? Or is it just not really elegant?

Thanks,
schogge

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Manual Downgrade of glibc Ok?

Post by pschaff » 2012/01/21 17:10:52

[quote]
schogge wrote:
I have a centos 4 server which is running for several years now. It was never updated.[/quote]
That is not good practice. Enterprise Linux security and bug-fix patches are issued only for good reason and after testing. One should generally update frequently unless there is a very good reason to do otherwise.

Are you aware that CentOS-4 will reach [url=http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2011-December/018285.html]end of life[/url] in a matter of weeks?

[quote]
My question is: Is this dangerous?[/quote]
Yes.

[quote]
Does it have any downsides?[/quote]
glibc is one of the most basic packages on the system and virtually everything else depends upon it. You have downgraded to an insecure version that is probably incompatible with the other packages you have updated. Better to fix your broken PHP application than to break the entire OS.

[quote]
Will it affect me in the future?[/quote]
Very likely, but your future should include a migration to a supported OS.

[quote]
Or is it just not really elegant?[/quote]
That too. :-)

DaemonProgrammr

Re: Manual Downgrade of glibc Ok?

Post by DaemonProgrammr » 2012/01/23 09:20:04

Also, I'm curious:
Why do you figure that the glibc upgrade is the cause for the broken translation in the PHP application?

I'd rather suspect that some part of the httpd implementation got updated and the locale files of the application somehow became borked / unreachable.

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”