[RESOLVED] CentOS 2.8 unable to right click on desktop to print screen

General support questions including new installations
rgarcia

[RESOLVED] CentOS 2.8 unable to right click on desktop to print screen

Post by rgarcia » 2011/11/04 04:47:16

Hello I am new to CentOS and am trying to resolve an issue where I am unable to right click on the desktop to print.
I was able to right click and print earlier today and I know that if I reboot the machine I will be able to right click and print again.
I was trying to learn what process is not working that I cannot right click on the desktop and select print. currently using CentOS 2.8.0 build 09/04/05.

Does anyone know if this would be a print daemon I should be looking for or another process altogether that I am not understanding.
I am able to click on left click on icons and select menu options in my applications that are currently running, but I do not want to reboot the machine and have to start all these applications over again.

I would like to resolve the right clicking on the desktop issue with out having to reboot.

If that is not possible, I thank you for reading this post.

Also note that I did not know where to place a general question into a specific forum as the other forums were specific to other versions and the CentOS website.

Thank you kindly in advance for any assistance!

pschaff
Retired Moderator

[RESOLVED] CentOS 2.8 unable to right click on desktop to pr

Post by pschaff » 2011/11/04 13:04:51

Welcome to the CentOS fora. Please see the recommended reading for new users linked in my signature.

"User Comments" is definitely not the right place for a question but I am unable to determine a proper home for your topic from the information provided.

[quote]
rgarcia wrote:
... currently using CentOS 2.8.0 build 09/04/05. ...[/quote]
I have no idea what that means, but it appears to be something outdated and obsolete in the best case. If you really mean [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=44]CentOS-2[/url] that reached end of life May 31, 2009. Please show[code]
uname -rmi
cat /etc/redhat-release
rpm -qa \*-release\*[/code]or perhaps better, [url=http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28723&forum=54]provide more information about your system[/url] by running "./getinfo.sh" and showing us the output file.

rgarcia

Re: CentOS 2.8 unable to right click on desktop to print screen

Post by rgarcia » 2011/11/08 00:42:42

Hello Phil,
Thank you for your response. It was very helpful!

I typed in uname -rmi:
2.6.9-42.ELsmp i686 i386

cat /etc/redhat-release:
CentOS release 4.4 (Final)

rpm -qa \*release\*:
CentOS-release-4-4.2

So I am pretty sure that it belongs in the CentOS 4 forum.
My apologies, for not checking those links first to find that needed information.

I resolved the issue by rebooting the machine. I am able to right click on the desktop and print again.
Thank you kindly and have a great day!

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: [RESOLVED] CentOS 2.8 unable to right click on desktop to print screen

Post by pschaff » 2011/11/08 14:44:20

You are welcome, and thanks for reporting back. Marking this thread [RESOLVED] for posterity, and moving it to CentOS-4 General Support.

Please do note that the current CentOS-4 release is [url=http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS4.9]4.9[/url] so you are seriously overdue for an update. You are missing a lot of bug-fix and security patches. A "yum update" should be sufficient, but as you are so far behind it may be advisable to follow an incremental approach like that described in the [url=http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.6]CentOS 5.6 Release Notes[/url] Section 4.

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”