which repo provides imagemagick?

General support questions including new installations
zl2k

Post by zl2k » 2007/01/27 07:11:42

Can someone tell me which repo provides imagemagick packages for centos4.4 i386? Thanks and have a good weekend.
zl2k

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/01/27 11:22:58

The default CentOS repo.

yum install ImageMagick

gveres

Re: which repo provides imagemagick?

Post by gveres » 2007/01/30 16:45:19

Along those lines, is there anywhere I can get an updated imagemagick for centos 4?

The currently available version is 6.0.7 but I really need something as new as 6.2.4 so that I can install MagicWand for PHP.

How can I go about getting 6.2.4 if I don't want to install a dev environment on my machine?

Thanks
Greg

jasonxoxide

Post by jasonxoxide » 2007/01/30 17:17:14

Well, 6.2.8 is in FC6 so you could rebuild the src.rpm for that, but you would need a few dev tools installed to do it.

gveres

Post by gveres » 2007/01/31 18:03:10

Sorry for the small impending rant.

So that is my whole problem with Linux. The answer to everything is download the source and compile it. :-(

I want to build a website, not do software development. The package (bitweaver) I am trying to use recommends that I install MagicWand, which needs a newer version of ImageMagick. I just want to find and install a new version of ImageMagick without having to install an entire dev environment on my server.

Sorry for the rant.

I think the answer is going to no, but can I install the FC 6 RPM on Centos? Or will it just blow up?

Thanks
Greg

Lenard

Post by Lenard » 2007/01/31 18:49:56

[quote]
gveres wrote:
Sorry for the small impending rant.

So that is my whole problem with Linux. The answer to everything is download the source and compile it. :-(
[/quote]

What problem???? You want something not in the version of Linux you choose. This is not anybody's problem but yours.

[quote]
I want to build a website, not do software development. The package (bitweaver) I am trying to use recommends that I install MagicWand, which needs a newer version of ImageMagick. I just want to find and install a new version of ImageMagick without having to install an entire dev environment on my server.
[/quote]

Then ask the developers of these packages to for help with this, instead of whining. You are the one adding (or attempting to) without doing the required research beforehand. If what your attempting to do requires a newer version of something, guess who is responsible to meet these requirements, not the fine folks at Red Hat or here but you and only you.

[quote]
Sorry for the rant.
[/quote]

No problem. As you can read others can vent also...............

[quote]
I think the answer is going to no, but can I install the FC 6 RPM on Centos? Or will it just blow up?
[/quote]

Yes, you got this exactly right the answer is NO but your learning (good for you),. You will have to build the package(s) from the source rpm package. Guess what this is your responsibility to meet the requirements to build the packages. Even if this means you have to install a hundred packages and built 30 others beforehand. A number of years ago the ' Eagles' released a song that you should maybe get a copy of a play a number of times (like 20). The title is 'Get Over It!'

Eagles - Get Over It Lyrics;

I turn on the tube and what do I see

A whole lotta people cryin' "Don't blame me"

They point their crooked little fingers ar everybody else

Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves

Victim of this, victim of that

Your momma's too thin; your daddy's too fat

Get over it

Get over it

All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit

Get over it, get over it

You say you haven't been the same since you had your little
crash

But you might feel better if I gave you some cash

The more I think about it, Old Billy was right

Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight

You don't want to work, you want to live like a king

But the big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing

Get over it

Get over it

If you don't want to play, then you might as well split

Get over it, Get over it

It's like going to confession every time I hear you speak

You're makin' the most of your losin' streak

Some call it sick, but I call it weak

You drag it around like a ball and chain

You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain

You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown

Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down

Complain about the present and blame it on the past

I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass

Get over it

Get over it

All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit

Get over it, get over it

Get over it

Get over it

It's gotta stop sometime, so why don't you quit

Get over it, get over it

com2

Eagles is off-topic.

Post by com2 » 2008/01/18 12:40:50

It is interesting how fully off-topic this question is treated in this forum. What has a song of the Eagles to do with finding an up-to-date repository of imagemagick? Is it that strange to ask that? If the official repo does't offer an up-to-date version, what about a good alternative. You have them in other distributions, so why not in CentOS?

toracat
Forum Moderator

Re: Eagles is off-topic.

Post by toracat » 2008/01/18 15:43:24

[quote]
com2 wrote:
If the official repo does't offer an up-to-date version, what about a good alternative. You have them in other distributions, so why not in CentOS?[/quote]
Because CentOS is a clone. It is aiming at [b]100%[/b] binary compatibility with upstream. This means that even the known bugs are reproduced in CentOS. As to newer versions of software, one of the CentOS developers, Ralph, explains in his mailing list post:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-January/092862.html
(the last paragraph)

If one needs a version that is newer than what CentOS/upstream offers, choices are limited. Compiling from source is one of them, but you are on your own because this is not officially supported by CentOS. Or, one can go for more cutting edge distros like Fedora.

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”