I need some advices

General support questions including new installations
piportill4

I need some advices

Post by piportill4 » 2007/01/05 03:58:02

I’m a always Windows guy, I’m gonna work with S/390 IBM Mainframes running a Red Hat Enterprise, so I need skills in Linux stuffs. I dunno nothing about Linux so, I’m reading a beginners Tutorial.
Here’s the main questions,

1) Should I get those skills for my job, installing a CentOS on my Asus TUSL2-C, PIII 1,4ghz , 512mb PC?

2) Will CentOS be too hard to be “my first Linux OS” ? (I’m a Windows guy), if it’ll be so, which one should I try?

3) Could some Ubuntu-Mandriva gimme skills for upgrade to a CentOS later?, or they're diffrents things?.

THANKS, I mean really thanks, from Argentina

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

I need some advices

Post by NedSlider » 2007/01/05 13:50:13

[quote]
piportill4 wrote:
I’m a always Windows guy, I’m gonna work with S/390 IBM Mainframes running a Red Hat Enterprise, so I need skills in Linux stuffs. I dunno nothing about Linux so, I’m reading a beginners Tutorial.
Here’s the main questions,

1) Should I get those skills for my job, installing a CentOS on my Asus TUSL2-C, PIII 1,4ghz , 512mb PC?

2) Will CentOS be too hard to be “my first Linux OS” ? (I’m a Windows guy), if it’ll be so, which one should I try?

3) Could some Ubuntu-Mandriva gimme skills for upgrade to a CentOS later?, or they're diffrents things?.

THANKS, I mean really thanks, from Argentina[/quote]

Yes, CentOS is an ideal choice for you as it's functionally identical to Red Hat Enterprise (CentOS4 == RHEL4). All Linux distro's are essentially the same beneath the GUI so it rally doesn't matter which you learn. So you may as well start with CentOS as all the GUI tools are the same as RHEL.

I'd also recommend getting yourself a really good book, such as the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Bible by Christoper Negus. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Fedora-Red-Enterprise-Linux-Bible/dp/0471754919/sr=8-5/qid=1168004832/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/102-9070161-8469750?ie=UTF8&s=books

chattr

Re: I need some advices

Post by chattr » 2007/01/05 22:36:29

I would also suggest reading up on running Red Hat Linux on that fancy IBM hardware. Theofficial document link is at the end of this post.

Most Linux books assume you are running on Intel (x86) architecture. Hardly any dip into booting or installing on other architectures.

The main differences you will see when using Linux on IBM S/390 rather than x86 is during boot and install (option to install to a LPAR on s/390). Also things like disk devices will appear differently (/dev/hdX or /dev/sdX for x86, /dev/dasdX for s/390).

Finally, I would suggest installing Cenots within a virtual machine environment such as VMWARE server (which is available as a free download). This has the benefit of allowing you to take snapshots and not interfering with your physical machine.

The link for S/390 installation, as promised, is http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-ig-s390-multi-en-4

You may also care to look at the other documentation available at http://www.centos.org/docs/4

As a previous poster mentioned, Centos is equivalent to Red Hat. I would also recommend that Chris Negus book. If you are at all worried that Linux will be "hard" to learn, then this book is for you.

Good luck. The S/390 kit is fun to work with !

piportill4

Post by piportill4 » 2007/01/05 23:56:31

Sorry Chattr, are u telling me to dont install CentOS physically , but virtually ?, I mean I will only use CentOS to get the skills of a RHEL environment, so will i be fine with just a VMware server under my Xp SP2 ? , I mean , will it be easier? will it be enough to get familiar with RHEL environment?

Sorry again :(

chattr

Post by chattr » 2007/01/06 12:12:37

You will be fine installing Centos under VMWARE server using Windows XP as a host.

Whether you choose to install on a physical machine or within a virtual one is really up to you, but installing in VMWARE gives you the added benefit of enabling snapshots. You could for example take a snapshot just after installation, then if you mess up the OS during your learning all you have to do is press one button to get the machine back to the state to just after installation. If you install physically, you would have to do a re-install.

The VMWARE route gives you a machine that is exactly the same functionally as one installed physically.

The VMWARE route also allows you to set up networking between your virtual Centos box and you physical Windows XP one. This will allow you to test out servers, networking, security, web, ftp, dns, etc, .....

As for easiness, the learning curve for Centos will be the same whether it's done in Vmware or physically.

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”