Centos 4.1 / 4.2 - PCI Wireless Network Card

General support questions including new installations
mythnetworks

Centos 4.1 / 4.2 - PCI Wireless Network Card

Post by mythnetworks » 2005/11/19 00:43:49

Hi All,

Is there any wireless network card for a desktop PCI that will auto-detect in CentOS 4.X ??

I have tried several, to no avail... The Netgear 311 PCI card does not work, but when activated, does something..... (Halts ALL USB and PS2 operation system-wide...)

I want to find one that auto-detects and just starts working... I am done compiling drivers and troubleshooting...

Anyone with experience here is a big plus!

Thanks,

Lee markham

danieldk

Re: Centos 4.1 / 4.2 - PCI Wireless Network Card

Post by danieldk » 2005/11/19 09:28:59

Anything that is supported by the kernel, and compiled as a module should be picked up by the hotplugging system. If you are lucky enough, you can find a Prism 2 card. These cards work out-of-the-box on almost any operating system. For that reason it was the only type of card that I bought. But the kernel also supports newer chipsets. A quick look at the modules in CentOS shows that Intel IPW2100 and 2200-based cards are supporrted, and the firmware for these cards can be installed with yum. A card with an Atmel chipset is also a good option.

BTW. I don't know what chipset your 311 has, but if it is a Prism 2.5-based card, it should work well on Linux. If it does not work well with the kernel driver, you could try the hostap drivers:
http://hostap.epitest.fi/

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”