Graphical display problem after installation

General support questions including new installations
pdown85

Graphical display problem after installation

Post by pdown85 » 2005/04/17 13:55:42

I have just installed CentOS 4.0 (2.6.9-5.0.3 EL) from the standard distribution. I'm new to Linux (although familiar with Solaris and HP-UX) excuse the question if you seen it all before.

Installed on a Dell GX150, PIII 1Ghz, 256 MB RAM, 20GB HDD.
Sound Card: Make: Intel 82801BA/BAM AC '97 Module snd-intel 8x
Video card: Intel 815
Monitor: Dell M991

During the installation the sound card, video card are correctly detected. The Monitor was detected as a M791, but whether I leave it at that or change it to be M991 makes no difference to what happens as described below.

When the graphical interface comes up straight vertical lines appear on the screen at internals about 2-3cm apart. So say about 10-11 full height lines spread across the screen.

I believe the monitor and video card to be fine because:
- during the installation the screen was displaying perfectly with no interference
- even after reboot, during the stage the boot messages are filing past the display is perfect
- this is a dual-boot machine and when Win98SE is booted up display is again perfectly fine.

It is only after the boot sequence finished and the PC goes into the graphical display that the vertical lines appear. On the standard background they are yellow/green/red slightly flickering. When an app is running (e.g. mail) and the screen is white then there are flickering vertical lines all through the display (same colour as background) but the flicker makes it =difficult on the line-line boundaries to read. It also appears to be disruptive to entering text with the cursor moving to unexpected places during cut-and-pastes, etc. This can make typing long texts, like this, difficult.

You going to ask me what GUI. Not 100% sure (I'm new here!) but it is the default after the installation because I did not change anything in that (did opt to install GNOME, and KDE).

I had exactly the same problem with an installation of Fedora Core 3 which I gave up on and so I tried CentOS.

Also during the installation the sound card was correctly detected but the sound test failed (no sound).and music CDs don't play. Again I know both sound and speaker are working fine because when booted to Win98SE they work. But sound is a lesser issue - at the moment I want to get the graphical display working - but eventually I will want to address that too.

Any suggestions what the problem might be, or even where I might start to look in order to find where the problem might be, gratefully received. Suggested solutions even more gratefully received!

TIA,
P

marku

Re: Graphical display problem after installation

Post by marku » 2005/04/18 01:16:23

i had a similar problem with my dell 3000 when first installing fc2. try - boot up - f2 - check video memory - increase to maximum - may do the job. good luck

pdown85

Re: Graphical display problem after installation

Post by pdown85 » 2005/04/23 15:15:19

The cure turned out to be simple - reduce the screen resolution! (Although why I can achieve a higher resolution without display deterioration under Win98SE than I can with CentOS remains a mystery.)

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”