Upgrading from Fedora Core 1 to Centos

General support questions including new installations
herohat

Post by herohat » 2005/03/18 20:30:16

Hi

I have a samba server 3.x on fedora core 1 with clients MS Windows XP.

I want upgrading from fedora core 1 to Centos 4.0 but I want to know if that don't cause problem to my samba server and my other services

Thanks

devil

Post by devil » 2005/03/21 14:16:05

sorry cant help u on upgrade portion, but i suggest go for a clean installation, the kernel and the packages are diff from Core series and can (maybe) put u in a mess, u can save yr samba config files and can quickly re-config samba...upgradation is prefered over system of same origin viz.centos over centos, Fedora over Fedora etc, this is diff gerne all-togather...

jmalcolm

Re: Upgrading from Fedora Core 1 to Centos

Post by jmalcolm » 2005/03/22 06:37:52

I upgraded a system from Fedora Core 1 to CentOS 4.0 and it worked just fine. Actually, it was to the 4.0beta and I have gone to 4.0 from there. I have Samba, Apache, MySQL, Sendmail, and PHP apps running that all work just as they should.

I also have Mailman running which did have a few hicups as the config files have moved since Fedora. Also, the /etc/fedora-release file was still hanging around which screwed up yum until I removed it. Other than that it has been great. I am extremely happy I made the transition.

I used apt-get for the upgrade. I am sure that yum or up2date would work but YMMV of course.

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”