Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop

General support questions including new installations
irlandes

Post by irlandes » 2005/03/17 18:11:33

I have had enough problems with SuSe and Mandrake, and am contemplating CentOs 4, which I have downloaded via ftp with good md5sums on CD.s I burned.

I know about modem problems, Conexant, and assume I can just do what I did with Mandrake 10.1

However, I have worries about the Geoforce video card. That was a real buster on Mandrake 9.1, but 10.0 worked fine.

Does anyone have any idea if CentOs4 will work on Dell laptops? That is, video card, also fan, and to a lesser degree battery monitor?

Also will captive, ntfs file system read/write utility work on CentOs? I know R****t has not generally supplied access to NTFS partitions,and that is sort of a basic need for those of us who dual boot.

Thanks for any advice.

I have used

devil

Post by devil » 2005/03/18 14:42:23

dont know abt it will rather install on Dell 2650, best way is to install so we all find out ;-)

as far as accessing NTFS partions are concern get the soruce RPM frm
http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/index.html or tar.gz, rebuild the RPM on CentOS or to the old fashion way with tar.gz and u have yr NTFS partions r/w

irlandes

Re: Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop

Post by irlandes » 2005/03/23 01:59:20

Thanks!!! That was a really hot lead. There are two rpm's for CentOs 4, depending upon kernel, and I downloaded them while I was on that URL since they are small.

That does motivate me to try CentOs. I was hesitant to spend the time if there were too many problems with it; I have had oodles of problems with SuSe Pro 9.2 and Mandrake 10.1 CE. Being able to access NTFS eliminates one potential hassle. I think the only real serious possible hassle is the video card, and since that seems to be the only real worry, I may take my chances. This is my main machine, and I truck it all over the U.S. and Mexico, so I can't afford to have it completely out of service for a long time. I may look through the packages for possible clues.

Over the weekend, I helped a friend install it on an old 333 MHZ machine. It couldn't find the sound cards, and something else I forget. But, it was lovely, absolutely lovely, and that also motivates me to try it. It did connect with no further problem to his cable router,,, though his Netgear FA311 NIC seems to be very slow on all distros except it works fine on Win 98. I have suggested he get another NIC...

You can be sure I will post here my results, as well as on Yahoo Dell linux laptop list.

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”