Bootable CD FAILS - HELP-:) Should I be using 4 anyway??

General support questions including new installations
sting2173

Post by sting2173 » 2005/03/06 01:42:59

I have been using RH9 servers for a couple of years now and am in the process building several new servers for an ugrade. I really like the IDEA of centos, but I can 't it to boot. I have downloaded the iso's from bittorrent and the checksum was fine. I have burned these to disk (using a Dell XP Box, Easy CD to burn with) several times - the boot loader finds the cdrom drive and then hangs.... No LILO, GRUB - nothing. I have tried several times and am out of ideas... Looks like others have had trouble with Centos 4 as well - but issues like I am having. I am sure it is user error so please - someone straighten me out :)

Also - an unrelated question. Anyone have any opinions about using 4 in a production envoronment? Servers are for a small Cable Company that uses them to support thier High Speed Internet Service ( DHCP, DNS, HTTPD, Sendmail, MySQL, TFTFP, VSFTP, etc...). I wonder if I shouldnt be trying to get 3.4 up instead of 4 anyway.

Thanks in advance:)

osde-info

Re: Bootable CD FAILS - HELP-:) Should I be using 4 anyway??

Post by osde-info » 2005/03/06 12:01:41

The quick answer is to

a) completely forget CentOS 4 until they've fixed the major download/ISO/MD5/mediacheck issues

b) download the CentOS 3.4 ISOs today - you will find them truly amazing and perfect upgrade path from RH7/8/9

hughesjr
Site Admin

Post by hughesjr » 2005/03/16 11:09:27

CentOS-4 and 3.4 are both very good upgrades from previous RH products ... see this for how to upgrade:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/html/rhel-ig-x8664-multi-en-4/ap-upgrade.html

I recommend the [b]linux upgradeany[/b] option

Return to “CentOS 4 - General Support”