[RESOLVED] Nightly or "rawhide" type of release

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
familyguy

Post by familyguy » 2011/02/27 13:41:57

Just wondering if it would be possible to make available a nightly build tree or something along the lines of Redhat's rawhide release. That way, folks that were interested in assisting with bug fixes or in getting bleeding edge features could have a CentOS alternative. Or is the party line "just use rawhide"? :-)

Thanks for your time.

Best,

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: Nightly or "rawhide" type of release

Post by scottro » 2011/02/27 13:55:01

Do you mean Fedora's rawhide? I'm not aware of RH's rawhide. While Fedora is connected to RH, it's a very different thing--it frequently breaks, it will often have experimental features put in, with the idea that Fedora users become knowing guinea pigs, and it's very much aimed at the desktop user, rather than the server--unfortunately, RH often takes these "desktop user" features and adapts them, and while some, of course, are useful, the vast majority seem aimed more at the person who dislikes Windows rather than the person who likes Unix.

While I might certainly be wrong, to my knowledge, there is no rawhide for RHEL.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2011/02/28 19:11:44

Could it be done? - Yes.
Is it likely to happen? - I seriously doubt it.

The closest you will find to what you are talking about would be upstream [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=fastrack+rhel5+OR+%22red+hat+enterprise+linux+5%22&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&safe=active]fastrack[/url] updates. CentOS does not (yet) track those. Scientific Linux has the rolling releases that are a similar idea, but again no CentOS equivalent.

One thing for sure - the party line is do [b]not[/b] use Fedora rawhide (or for that matter with [i]very rare[/i] exceptions [b]any[/b] Fedora binaries) for CentOS or other EL [re]builds.

familyguy

Re: Nightly or "rawhide" type of release

Post by familyguy » 2011/03/01 20:22:44

Ah, OK. So there isn't really a "nightly build" available then. That's what I wanted to know.

Thanks guys,

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: [RESOLVED] Nightly or "rawhide" type of release

Post by pschaff » 2011/03/01 20:38:48

You are welcome. Guess that means this thread is [RESOLVED].