Compiling Xen from source

If it doesn't fit in another category, ask it here.
frog252

Post by frog252 » 2008/03/21 19:46:01

Hi,

This isnt the most ideal place to ask such a question, but since we are using CentOS after all I thought someone else might have more knowledge than me on the subjet.

We run a number of machines with CentOS 5, using the provided 2.6.18-53.1.x Xen enabled kernels to provide Xen VPS

On a standalone machine we would usually compile a clean Kernel with Grsec and any other patches we need, from Kernel.org, however in the case of Xen it's a little more complicated.

We would like to compile a kernel using the latest stable on Kernel.org/2.6.24.x with Xen, however the main problem I am facing is that I have been unable to successfully locate a Stable Xen 3.1 or 3.2 source archive which I can use, that includes the necesarry patches.

Everything on Xen.org is labeled as "Unstable", so I am wondering whether the Version of Xen used to build the provided CentOS/RHEL kernels is also unstable? The only "stable" version of Xen I was able to find with patches, was Xen 2 from 2 years ago, 2006.

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

AlanBartlett
Forum Moderator

Post by AlanBartlett » 2008/03/21 23:13:48

Take a look at the [b]CentOS[/b] kernel source tree.

Start with a read of this Wiki article http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/I_need_the_Kernel_Source

HTH.
Alan.