Oracle On Cent OS

Installation and support for Oracle DB on CentOS.
Venture

Oracle On Cent OS

Post by Venture » 2011/06/21 01:56:06

Currently our existing server is over loading due to running low in ram space because of our expanding usage of oracle database. More and more modal of electronic equipment product for customer base is kept and enter in our oracle database which is running on 7 day X 24 hours.

Few months ago we need to restart our server once a week but now we need to restart every day to clear the ram space in the server if not the database will just hang or frozen and freeze not allowing to input and enter production data collected from our own data gathering system (dgs).

Is there any better solution to solve this issue. As we are not well verse with oracle performance tuning.We can not effort just simply just try and error because it very critical .If anything goes wrong the whole production will come to a halt. As you know we still don't have a backup and recovery solution.

Please advise on the issue.

scottro
Forum Moderator

Re: Oracle On Cent OS

Post by scottro » 2011/06/21 02:06:35

I don't know what your particular contract with Oracle is, but if you tell them you're running RH, they'll probably help. (Our Oracle DB guy is moderately satisfied with their support).

I realize this isn't much of an answer, but seriously, evil though Oracle is, their support may be able to help. (Just check about supported platforms.)

Also, though people's experience seems to widely vary, if it's being run on Dell servers, I've found Dell's Linux support to be pretty good. (They officially only support RH, but I've never had them not attempt to help with CentOS or Oracle Linux.)

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Oracle On Cent OS

Post by pschaff » 2011/06/24 11:33:44

[quote]
Venture wrote:
... now we need to restart every day to clear the ram space in the server if not the database will just hang or frozen and freeze not allowing to input and enter production data collected from our own data gathering system (dgs). ...[/quote]
Just a thought or two to augment Scott's excellent advice - seems obvious you have a memory leak somewhere. Monitoring memory usage with top to find out what is eating memory would be advisable. Are you certain that your dgs is not the culprit, rather than Oracle?