Harddisk used in RAID0

Support for the other architectures (X86_64, IA-64, and PowerPC)
ingcartun

Harddisk used in RAID0

Post by ingcartun » 2010/05/14 13:27:20

Hi all,

I have some question reffering to link two hardwares in RAID. First of all, my motiv because I want to use RAID, is because I want to increase speed of computer (read or write data from him). Second, type of harddisks are Western Digital Green with capacity of 500Gb and buffer of 32 Mb.

I need from you some links about how I can install on my computer harddware in RAID0, some sites where is explicit this settup because I'm begginer in Linux.

How increase velocity of read and write using RAID0, comparison with using only one harddisk.

I waiting much early is possibly any informations, sugesstions, explications, links, etc, from you.

Thanks in advance to all comunity for support.

Best regards.

P.S. I want to install RAID0 on CentOS 5.4 64bit :-?

gerald_clark

Harddisk used in RAID0

Post by gerald_clark » 2010/05/14 13:50:39

If you have true hardware RAID, follow the controller manufacturer's instructions for building RAID.
This will be done before the CentOS installation, and CentOS will know nothing about it.

Be SURE that it is not BIOS Fake-RAID.

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Re: Harddisk used in RAID0

Post by pschaff » 2010/05/14 15:24:40

Note that while RAID0 striping can give some performance benefits, it is at the expense of reliability. With RAID0 if either disk dies you lose everything.

If you do not have a true (and expensive) hardware RAID you can't install on RAID0 as /boot can't be on RAID0.

See the [url=http://wiki.centos.org/?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=RAID&titlesearch=Titles]Wiki RAID articles[/url] for details. For general information try a google on [url=http://www.google.com/search?q=RAID+performance&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a]RAID performance[/url].

ingcartun

Post by ingcartun » 2010/05/19 07:01:50

Hi all,

I read article from wikipedia, and after that instruction from Red Hat (reffering to manner in which must be install RAID on him). So, in this moment for me RAID0 is only option. But I have still some question:

- I have need the LVM settup ?
- If I made change in bios (last motherboard from Gigabyte which support 24 Gb RAM, and RAID 0,1,5) I can install only RAID0 on my computer ?
- I can made swap partition (I dont understand very good this settup) ?
- I can made supplemantary ext3 partition ?

Can somebody tell me in very short and base steps setting which I must apply on CentOS5.4 64bit installation (only steps which corresponding to RAID0 settup), to install corectly hardware in RAID0 ?

Thanks in advance for support and understanding.

Best regards.

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2010/05/19 13:55:41

You need to read the installation and deployment manuals.
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/

pschaff
Retired Moderator

Post by pschaff » 2010/05/19 17:15:47

[quote]
ingcartun wrote:
Hi all,

I read article from wikipedia, and after that instruction from Red Hat (reffering to manner in which must be install RAID on him). So, in this moment for me RAID0 is only option.
[/quote]
If you have a true hardware RAID then it will be seen as a single device by the installer and you can just go ahead with a default partitioning and installation, or if you prefer a custom install where you set up extra partitions as desired.

If you do [b]not[/b] have true hardware RAID, as I strongly suspect but cannot verify from the information provided, then what you want to do - RAID0 only - is not possible as GRUB cannot boot from RAID0.

Return to “CentOS 5 - X86_64,s390(x) and PowerPC Support”