Web Server OS Install

Support for webhosts that use CentOS
ZenonK

Web Server OS Install

Post by ZenonK » 2008/07/15 02:55:03

I am setting a new quadcore web server with the following specs. I would like to do that OS installation myself instead of paying the Datacenter techs for something that I can do myself. I am not sure about what options to use durring the setup though. Am I correct that if I miss installing something that with Linux my tech support company can easily add whatever options are required into the build at a later time? So I don't need to be super concerned about doing everything perfect the first time? What guidance can I find towards how I should proceed with the install. If I'm playing with fire then let me know. Id rather learn what is needed for a webhost install, but will gladly pay someone if im risking a bad build.

Thanks for the input!
----------------------------------------------------------------
It has dual Quad Core E5410 prcessors
SuperMicro X7DCL-I Motherboard
8Gigs of DDR2 667 RAM
1333FSB
4 Seagate 500GB drive (RAID-10)
3WARE 9650SE RAID controller
1 WD 1TB drive

please feel free to make any further comments regarding the RAID array here, or in my thread dedicated to the Raid array. That thread is very close by!

Thanks
Zenon

kentyler

Re: Web Server OS Install

Post by kentyler » 2008/08/12 19:08:06

Install 5.2 and select everything default until you get to the package selection area then select web server.

You can't hurt a thing and it should be fun.

NedSlider
Forum Moderator

Web Server OS Install

Post by NedSlider » 2008/08/12 19:31:25

[quote]
ZenonK wrote:
I would like to do that OS installation myself instead of paying the Datacenter techs for something that I can do myself. I am not sure about what options to use durring the setup though. Am I correct that if I miss installing something that with Linux my tech support company can easily add whatever options are required into the build at a later time? So I don't need to be super concerned about doing everything perfect the first time? What guidance can I find towards how I should proceed with the install. If I'm playing with fire then let me know. Id rather learn what is needed for a webhost install, but will gladly pay someone if im risking a bad build.
[/quote]

It doesn't matter if you miss anything out during the install, it's easy to add it afterwards. If you forgot to install the Apache web server, it's as easy as [b]yum install httpd[/b] to add it afterwards.

I would suggest you read this post for more information on how to install software:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14408&forum=47

adamos

Post by adamos » 2008/08/13 19:39:54

Thats lots of $$$$$ spent on hardware. In my opinion, you should have a system on the site with the minimum requirements to do you trial installations / upgrades. A rule of thumb for production sites is to have redundant servers. One for production and one to test software/upgrades on it. Either physical server or virtual servers with vmware. Also, spidertools.com has really good training for centos. It you should help to get your feet wet :)

-adam

centuser1

Post by centuser1 » 2008/09/02 21:13:02

well...not being there in person is a bummer due to having to be hands on.

however, I believe kvm over ip may allow you to install it yourself. Either an onboard card can do it or a separate box they can add for a moment.

If I had any options, I would do it at home first and then mail the whole box to them..

this may help..not complete for a complete webserver, but I am working on putting all the steps up

[url=http://www.bobhoffman.com/test/html]Partial step by step[/url]

What is there and in my old forums here

[url=http://politicalgateway.politicalgateway.com/~admin2/forums/viewforum.php?f=2]old forums[/url]

may be a start for you to go on.

This represents a large number of days and weeks learning and finding out what to do. There is much more I have not added yet and are sitting here in notes on my computer. But I hope to make it a step by step project for centos installs for webservers.

Return to “CentOS 5 - Webhosting Support”