Need adivce on Apache,PHP and Postgres

Support for webhosts that use CentOS
dymatrix

Need adivce on Apache,PHP and Postgres

Post by dymatrix » 2008/03/22 17:28:27

Hello.

I have an application that I have had someone developing using PHP, Postgres on an existing Centos 4.5 box. This box is purely for development. I am ready to deploy to a production server and have done a full install of Centos 5.1 and applied updates. It was recommended to me that I not do that but rather do a minimal install and install and compile from source the LAMP stack components that I need. I am currently testing the process using VM Ware on a Centos 5.1 box

The final architecture will be as follows:

1..n Apache / PHP servers
Main Postgres server and one Slony replica
1 file server = used to store documents accessed by the various Apache /PHP servers

DR Site will consist of a single multi-cpu system running centos 5.1 with 2 Apache / PHP servers in VM's and remaining (Postgres and files ) running on base system.

My deployment scenario is that all systems are behind a Cisco PIX firewalla with only specific ports open to certain machines. Am I asking for troubly by usinga default Centos 5.1 installation or should I take the advice given and re-do my install.

Thanks for taking time to read this and I appreaciate your comments.

- Lou

foxb

Re: Need adivce on Apache,PHP and Postgres

Post by foxb » 2008/03/22 22:43:33

Usually(in majority of cases) problems/breakins come from buggy code not from Apache/PHP....

PIX can inspect the traffic, but cannot fir programmer errors...

If you want you are free to be bleeding edge and recompile the SW after each developer update.

Return to “CentOS 5 - Webhosting Support”