Keeping servers and packages up to date

Support for webhosts that use CentOS
Sentient

Keeping servers and packages up to date

Post by Sentient » 2008/01/17 01:48:18

Hello,

I've decided to switch our company website from being hosted on windows 2003 server to cent os 5.1. I'm new to the whole linux world and I don't know much about it yet.

So my first question is how do I keep my server packages up to date? Do I have to wait until they become available in the list of updates within my cent os 5.1, or can I just go to apache.org and download the latest apache 2.2.6 and install it by myself? Same with php and mysql, can I just download them from the developers' sites, or they can only be installed from update manager within cent os?

Thanks in advance.

markkuk

Re: Keeping servers and packages up to date

Post by markkuk » 2008/01/17 12:46:24

You can install software directly from sources, but generally that's a bad idea. You lose all the features of package management, and essentially you are running [url=http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/]Linux From Scratch[/url] instead of CentOS. CentOS is intended to be a stable distribution for production servers, if you want to chase the bleeding edge of software development you should use some other distro like [url=http://fedoraproject.org/]Fedora[/url].

Sentient

Post by Sentient » 2008/01/17 17:44:22

Thank you very much for answering my question. Next thing I need to figure out is how to set up FTP server, add and configure FTP user accounts. Could you please give me some pointers in this? Are ftp user accounts same accounts as OS user accounts, or does the FTP server have its own user accounts, if so where would I need to add and configure those accounts?

Sentient

Post by Sentient » 2008/01/19 01:48:34

Never mind this one, I got figured out. I think the reason it's not very well documented is probably because it's so simple lol.

Return to “CentOS 5 - Webhosting Support”