Sendmail server sending mail automatically

Support for security such as Firewalls and securing linux
ashrafy84

Sendmail server sending mail automatically

Post by ashrafy84 » 2012/10/14 06:26:11

Hi guys,

In my office we are running a mail server with horde. the server is running well but the sendmail server is sending unwanted mails to some unknown email address and get bounced back. It is sending 10 mail in 30 second. The mail is send with our user mail id

Please some one help with this issues and tell how to stop the emails send by the server

Thanks
Ashraf

Heatleakz

Re: Sendmail server sending mail automatically

Post by Heatleakz » 2012/10/20 17:19:33

[quote]
ashrafy84 wrote:
Hi guys,

In my office we are running a mail server with horde. the server is running well but the sendmail server is sending unwanted mails to some unknown email address and get bounced back. It is sending 10 mail in 30 second. The mail is send with our user mail id

Please some one help with this issues and tell how to stop the emails send by the server

Thanks
Ashraf[/quote]

Hi ashrafy84,

If I understood you correct, you are receiving unwanted "Mailer Daemon Failure Notice" mails?

Furthermore,
I have a bad feeling that your server might be a victim of a "backscatter" where spammers attempt to use your server's SMTP address to send emails, they forge your address as the sender's address. While the SMTP connection is initiated the mailserver performs a range of checks and attempts to reject emails with a 5xx error code while the sending server is still connected. When the message at the connection stage are rejected the Mail-Transfer-Agent generates a local bounce message or "Non-Delivery" Notifications to a local user on your server.

Just configure a postfix server as a mail-relay for the internal machines and your problem should be fixed.