Opening my Server to internet

Installing, Configuring, Troubleshooting server daemons such as Web and Mail
caracena

Post by caracena » 2010/06/01 17:04:40

Hi everybody.

This is my first post here so forgive me if I place it in the wrong forum.

I am completely new to Linux but I've managed to install a server using the guide: [url=http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-centos-5.4-x86_64-ispconfig-3]The Perfect Server - CentOS 5.4 x86_64 [ISPConfig 3][/url]. It is running just fine and I can connect thru FTP and view websites as I edited my hosts file in Windows so it points to the server's static LAN IP address.

By the end of this week a new ISP is going to hook me up with a faster connections with 3 static IP addresses. One of them is going to my router so my LAN can share internet and the other two are going (before going into the router) to the server.

What I would like to know is how should I setup my server to be opened to the internet. I don't mind installing it again (more practice for me hehe).

Let's say for example I have a domain registered that I'm not using (myowndomain.com) that is pointing to one of my dedicated hosted servers and I want to change it's DNS records to point to my home server:

1) What should I call the server?

2) How do I configure the two static IPs in the server to be NS1 and NS2? (BIND is configured by ISPConfig 3 in that tutorial)

3) Can I do all that with just one NIC adapter on my server or will I have to buy a second NIC adapter?

Basically, I want to be able to register my home server's DNS with my registrar and point my domain (and any other domain I want) to it so I can have a real web server with NS, A, NS and CNAME records so everything works.

BTW another question I might as well ask here is: Will this setup be enough to stop most common attacks from the outside? The server will not be behind any router (becouse of the 2 IPs) or hardware firewall.

Thanks in advance! :-D

caracena

Re: Opening my Server to internet

Post by caracena » 2010/06/01 17:12:53

I forgot one question.

In case I can use the web server as its own name server, which IP address will I use for the different web sites I host (vhosts)? As it it right now, when I create a new web site in ISPConfig admin panel I add it to the only IP address I have (it appears as a "*") but my guess is that I will have the two IP addresses in there. Will I be able to use any IP no matter they're used for NS1 and NS2?

Thanks again.

gerald_clark

Post by gerald_clark » 2010/06/01 17:14:27

Welcome to CentOS.
Please do the recommended new user reading:
http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=47

I recommend using a standalone DSL router between your ISP supplied bridge and your server.
Configure the router WAN address to one supplied by your ISP.
Refer to your ISP supplied Bridge manual, and the Router manual.
Contact your Domain Registrar for instructions on configuring DNS using their name servers.

hi_vkkadam

Re: Opening my Server to internet

Post by hi_vkkadam » 2010/06/05 06:39:01

Hi,

My opinion( my viewpoint) for this server configuration is

if you want to make it as gateway/router then you need at least 2 NIC's

as per virtual hosting is concern, it is depend on which type of virtual hosting you are going to set
Name Based or IP Based
if IP Based then add another NIC and assign public ip to it.

configure the bind, based on ip address.

security of server is depends on how strong is your firewall rules, stateful insepction,connection tracking and security from different attacks such as DoS, DDos ...etc

you can secure your server by writting good firewall rules and setting /etc/sysctl.conf parameters.

Thanks