Samba share not visible

Issues related to configuring your network
rob76

Samba share not visible

Post by rob76 » 2015/06/14 03:13:08

Hello,

I've been using RHL since the late 90's. For a few years now I've been using CentOS 5. Currently 5.11
I have had this strange issue for a while, and I thought maybe somebody here might have some much needed insight.

I have a few samba shares for my local user directory and another directory on a separate disk. I have a third share, on a third drive, that is all setup exactly the same, permission and everything. The only difference is I do not have it auto mount. I mount it manually if the system restarts. For some weird reason it hangs the system on bootup if I have it automount. The problem is this share is never visible to my mac OSX, nor my Windows 7 machines. I can restart samba after I mount the drive and it still isn't visible. What could be preventing it? I've used both the gnome samba app and I've inspected the config file. Everything looks the same from share to share in the config. Nothing obvious. Permissions are all setup the same on the directories. I wish I could connect to this drive.

TrevorH
Site Admin

Re: Samba share not visible

Post by TrevorH » 2015/06/14 11:04:52

Did you read the top portion of the default smb.conf in the selinux section? It details what contexts shares need to have to be compatible.
The future appears to be RHEL or Debian. I think I'm going Debian.
Info for USB installs on http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey
CentOS 5 and 6 are deadest, do not use them.
Use the FAQ Luke

rob76

Re: Samba share not visible

Post by rob76 » 2015/06/14 15:36:59

Wow that worked! Thanks!!
So easy... I had no idea. I mean, for some reason my other directories just worked. I created the shares using the admin tool in gnome.
Stupid gui tools! :)